bowsprit pole

Previous topic - Next topic

sailon1

I have just purchased an asymmetrical spinnaker along with a dousing sock and tacker. I'm interested in flying it with a bowsprit pole. Can anyone help with needed info and ideas? Fabrication is not a problem. Joe

Ted Pounds

Unless your spinnaker was cut specifically to fly on a bowsprit (i.e. much larger than standard) I wouldn't bother to add one.  Flying it farther forward doesn't get you anything and only complicates flying it.  It may even mess up the balance of the boat.  Have you talked to your sailmaker about this?  If not, you really should before doing anything.  

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

rirvine

Ted is correct unless the sail was cut to fly on a bowsprit pole using one would just complicate your life without any gains.  I have added a 12" long stainless steel "bowsprit" attached to the head stay anchor points to get the tack point lower.  This allows the adjustable tack line to run under the headsail-furling drum and hence out of the way.  

Have fun with your new toy!

Ray

sailon1

Ray,
I did have the sailmaker consider a bowsprit pole to run about 3 to 4 feet off the bow. I only found a short article in 1994 Tech notes, but no info on how this was accomplished. I have a rigger/machinist considering some ideas I had. Starting with modifying the anchor roller frame to accept the 3"- 3.5" pole. Any information would be appreciated. Thank You, Joe

sail4dale

Just fisnished a sail with my new A. Spinnaker and attached the tack to a tack line running back to the cockpit.  It goes thru a block attached to the bale on my anchor roller.  Now I can adjust the position of the tack so when I and trying to go downwind more it wll extend further away from the main.  I find I can sail up to 60 degrees(apparent) in medium air and about 140 - 150 off the wind.  I haven't a pole or I probably could do better off the wind.

A fun sail!

rirvine

I used the bale on the anchor roller for some time (2 years) until I got the tack line tangle in the furling roller. The bowsprit that I added is only as long as the anchor roller but it is much lower to allow the tack line runs under the furling drum.   Joe:   Some place on the C34 web site there is a write up on how to use the anchor roller to hold a short spinnaker pole â€" a search will probably find it for you.

Ray