Testing Balmar ARS-4 Voltage Regulator?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Hello again,
I have finally gotten around to troubleshooting my charging problem.  I went through all of the wiring, ran multiple tests, including taking the regulator out of the loop, using the process described in the regulator troubleshooting documentation.  The alternator charges with the regulator out of the loop.  Is there a way to test/reset/repair the ARS-4, or is it best to take it to an alternator shop and let them test it?  By the way, my alternator is a Balmar 91-75 D (dual output). Thanks.
Mike....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Mike,

Could you describe your charging problems or a link to an earlier post you may have made?

Does your dual output Balmar have its own internal regulation?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mike : Call Balmar (360-435-6100).  They have always been great with trouble shooting. 

I've always had success when I called them!!   
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

Well, I took the regulator to a recommended local alternator service shop, and they tested it for me at no charge.  As I suspected, it tested faulty and needs to be replaced.  The service technician suggested substituting a V-1200, made by Transpo International.  He seemed to think it would work just as well as the Balmar, and costs a lot less.  I can use the existing wiring and set the charging voltage level where I want it.  It is preset at 14.2v

I've seen a lot of posts about the Balmar units not holding up well, partially due to heat.  Have any of you tried this approach.  Anything specific I should look out for/potential risks? 

This is a link to an online source for the unit, for reference.  http://www.motorcityreman.com/vorev1.html

Stu, as far as I can tell, my alternator (Balmar 91-75 D (dual output)) does not have internal regulation.  I don't have the original documentation, but have downloaded some basic info for similar units.  Thanks.

Mike......

Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mike : You and I have the same alternator, but mine is 24 years old and has been rebuilt a couple of years ago.  When my ARS III conked out after 20 years?, I upgraded to an ARS 5.

The heat problem is not unique to just a Balmar, but applies to any external regulator if it is mounted in the engine compartment.  I mount mine around the corner (down low) under the head sink where it's cool.

The price of the V1200 looks good, but I like all the additional features of the ARS 5

A few thoughts  
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm pretty new to all of this.  Charging systems are not my strong point.  This is my 2nd season without the use of the alternator.  I finally got around to troubleshooting the system.  Until now we've been day sailing, with the batteries being charged at the dock only. 

What are the additional features that would steer you toward the ARS-5.  The cost would be almost 3x, but maybe it's worth it for the features??  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Mike, it looks like a single stage regulator, one voltage, that's it.  It could work, but is essentially a single stage regulator, just like the one found on the back of an OEM alternator.

What you end up "missing" is true 3 stage regulation (bulk, absorption and float when motoring for a long time), adjustments for different programs for different preset battery types, Small Engine Mode and other features.  I admit I haven't researched this, nor Googled or read the manual, this is only from the link you provided.

If you want to learn more about boat electrical systems, please go to the "101 Topics", and click on "Electrical 101" - a lot of what you need to know is all there for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mainesail

Mike,

I would urge you to go with an ARS-5 or MC-614. They are far better regulators than the Transpo. The Transpo is also just a very, very basic single stage regulator.

I would also urge anyone with an older dual output alt to buss them together and use them as a single output alternator. There are far too many cases of cooked banks due to dual output alts. There is a reason Balmar no longer offers them and that is because when you have one regulator and two outputs it makes proper voltage sensing nearly impossible. They are very easy to jumper to create a single output...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

lazybone

I've had an Ample Power regulator for 20 yrs.
absolutely flawless.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Mike : I still urge you to talk to Balmar and then you decide. 

BTW, Balmar gives Balmar owners a special price to replace/upgrade.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and insight.  What a resource!!  I guess I'm convinced, need to go with a multi-stage regulator.

Ron, I'll contact Balmar, as you suggest.

Stu, I'm working on the electrical systems 101.

Mainesail, Sounds like I should buss the 2 outputs on the alternator.  Do I just put a jumper between the two output posts? I'll try to do some research on that.  Would appreciate your thoughts.

Lazybone, Thanks for your suggestion as well.

Mike.......
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Mike McDonald

Ron,
FYI - - - I called Balmar today and spoke to a very helpful tech support guy.  He recommended the ARS-5 or MC-14.  He said the MC-14 was probably overkill for my type of system and sailing, but probably worth the extra money. Also, they no longer offer any trade-up discounts.  They only sell through distributors.  It was a good thought.  He went through how I had everything wired and confirmed I had everything set up properly.  He also saw no reason to change from dual output.  Thanks.
Mike....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario