Canvas shop recommendations in San Diego?

Previous topic - Next topic

efhughes3

Any fellow SD'ers have canvas shop recommendations? Time for dodger to be redone...
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Marshal Murphy is the best in SD but also expensive but check him out. Very nice guy too!

619-916-6541

2nd choice would be Travis the Canvas Guy. 619-546-6423

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

I've had some small work done by Canvas Services down in Shelter Island.  They are very accommodating and do a wide variety of services.  Great service and stand behind their work.  :abd:

2828 Canon St San Diego, CA 92106

(619) 225-0374
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

efhughes3

Thanks guys.

I've driven past Canvas Services 2,000 times, just don't know anyone who has used them.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The most expensive part is the frame and the overall design of the dodger, which you already have. It may not be so bad since you can provide the existing fabric for a pattern. Maybe you can take the fabric to a few shops to get a quote and also don't forget to get an ETA of how long it will take. Some of the shops are back logged.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

efhughes3

That was my thinking-I'm happy with the dodger overall-I'll probably add an add-on canopy for the rear, while at dock or anchor.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Ken Juul

A good shop may use the existing dodger for a rough cost estimate, but most make their own patterns to ensure a good fit.  Old canvas tends to stretch too much.

If you don't have them, add handles to the sides.  Really makes a difference moving along the deck.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Kevin Henderson

Here's the best pic I could find of my inport/anchor cocpit awning.  Pretty simple design with only some twist locks at the dodger and a SS pole aft to attach to the backstay.  Keeps the cockpit nice and shady and stows in about 2 minutes.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

efhughes3

Thanks Kevin, that is pretty much what I had in mind.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Mick Laver

Ed - I've used Jan Mitchell (jan@mitchellscanvas.com - 619.778.1007) for many years. He made a bimini for my C30 (working with me to devise a clever way to wrap it around the backstay) and did many small to medium repairs. He's made a hatchboard covers, and "door" that hangs off the back of my dodger, and is currently making some weather curtains for the cockpit for my C34. Everyone I've recommended him to has been delighted with the work.

He is only word of mouth (but I suspect this list qualifies - word-of-small-group if you will. I checked with him first to make sure I could put his name out.) He's extremely reasonable and is fanatic about getting the job right. My only caveats are that if you're in a big hurry he's not your guy. Not that he's not conscientious, he's just always busy. He's also a bit of a "character" and I know that can put some people off, but we think he's a super nice guy.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

efhughes3

Ed Hughes
SDYC