For Sale

Previous topic - Next topic

jbstack28

So No Replies for my boat for sale .  Does this mean the boat is overpriced?

Charlie Stackpole
'DESPIDO'
1990  #1029

mvazmina

I had Second Wind in the Boat trader for 2 months and did not get a single call I was priced at $59,000 for our 86. The market may just be slow. The new 38 sure looked nice, but 2 boat payments would be a little tough.

rm_fleming

I purchased "Dallience" a 1989, hull #880 this last summer for $54,000.  She has been in Lake Michigan her whole life.  When I bought her I thought the price was about right.  You may be a bit high for a salt water boat used year round.

Gene Regan

Hi , Gene Regan here , my wife and I purchased 713 in september and paid 50000 , boat has dodger, bimini,,wind, speed ,depth,refrige,auto pilot,4 gc batteries, 2 other batteries, isolators,new multistage charger, windless,gps (2),loran ,anchors plow and danforth,1200 hrs on eng, balmar 100 alt. and regulator ,vhf,all in new shape and dinghy, and love it,purchased from Winters Sailing Center in NJ.
Ask what you will, but look at competition pricing,spring is coming.If your getting new boat see if your dealer will help potential customers on yours get financing, sometimes that helps.
Good luck

Gene Regan
713 Freedom

gene regan

captran

I'd go to boattrader.com and enter boat specs to get a pretty good comparison.  The last time I looked there were only a few Catalina 34's.   You might get some ideas of comparably equipped and year boats.  enter Catalinas for specific comparison, but leave it blank and you'll find out what else is out there(beneteau, etc).  Timing is everything.  We bought Voyager #1345,  a 1997 in the spring of 01 in Georgia for  @87,000.  At the time they also had cash flow, a 98, for not much more but lightly equipped and in need of an engine replacement (which was going to be covered under warrantee).  they also had a 99 in South Florida, lightly equipped, for abut 90k.  I know those are newer.  I looked at a number of 86 and 87's the year before that were in the 34,000 to 50,000 range but I decided to spend more to get more.  Part of the problem may be the economy.  Alot of layoffs and such.  Unless you find someone with strict allegence to Catalina, you need to find out what the competition is.  I found boattrader a great source.  You can specify region or leave it open and see whats across the US.I may go peek myself to see whats out there.  Good luck!

Terry

I purchased Shadow in April 2000 for $61,000.  I think I got a deal - others were going for $55M to $75M.  At the time, I estimated FMV decreased $3,000 per year.  Now's the time when people are going to buy a boat so you don't want to miss it.

Options and features are also critical.  Go to www.NADA.com or BUC (I don't know much more about how to find BUC; except that it is another valuation source).  I think both of their values are low but the more information the better.  Good luck...

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Charlie,

I recommend checking the values listed at BUC Book (http://bucvalu.com/)---you will have to register with them for the service, but it's free...

I believe the BUC values are based on actual sales and not asking prices (like Boat Trader)...This is an important issue because I think most boats which are on the market are listed on the high side to cover broker fees and lots of bargaining room; some of which may or maynot be a fair to pass along to the buyer...In my opinion, the seller shouldn't pump the price of the boat up to cover his broker fees; this is the price you pay to advertise and sell your boat, shouldn't have any effect on the actual boat value...

A year ago, BUC listed the '86 model as $35K - $48K; the lower value being a vessel in GOOD condition; sail ready, everything operational...The high price was for an EXTREMELY well outfitted boat; NEW state-of-the art gadgets and ALL the options (bimini, dodger, new electronics, Recently purchased FULL Sail inventory)...The seller of my vessel was over the top end price; and although the boat was nice, was not heavily upgraded...Based on the BUC Book defense, I managed to buy her at the low end of the value...

Also, may people tend to add up all the costs they put into the boat, then add this figure into the "high" BUC Book value; another no-no in my opinion...If you replaced you A/C (or sails) because the old one quit, you cannot add these costs to the boat value...The boat value is based on a boat in good working order; it's your tuff luck you had to buy a new A/C (or sails) to get her in "good working order"...Anyway, the BUC web site goes into good detail about their pricing concepts...

I'm not sure if you are too high or not; I haven't researched it...I will tell you that a friend sold his 1990 34' last season (Ches Bay) in the $55K ballpark...Really nice boat, super clean; heat & A/C, bimini, dodger, upgraged sailing hardware; had one genoa on a furler, and one main...

Hope This Helps and Good Luck,
Tom P

tandm

Practical Sailor had an article on determining boat value in the June 2001 issue. I highly recommend anyone contemplating a boat purchase read it.  If you can't get your hands on a paper copy of the issue, you can buy the article on-line. Their report matches up well with my own experience buying a C34.  

One of the nice things about the C34 is that their are so many of them.  You can get a good feel for the market in your area and, as the price does vary from area to area.

PS can be foud at http://www.practical-sailor.com

td
Peregrine #543

jentine

Charlie,
It is a shame that 358 viewers visited the site, but a mere 8 indicated their opinion and only seven offered a written opinion.  The value of your boat is between you and the buyer.  Ask the price you want and let the market take over.  An appraisal is just another opinion.  If you ask too much you can come down; if you ask too little you can't go up.  
Jim Kane

Ken Juul

Most of the people I have talked with start here when boat shopping.  It's where I found mine.

http://yachtworld.com/boats/
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Kyle Ewing

Brokers have an additional level of access to Yachtworld that allows them to see the sales price compared to the asking price.  When I bought Donnybrook in October, my broker shared with me the asking vs. sales price of 1990 C34 sales from the past several months.  The sales prices were all over the place (maybe $45k to $70k).  Some sales prices were much lower than asking price, some very close, and a few even higher.  My offer was near the middle but I thought the condition was better than the other C34s I looked at.

Be patient.  Someone told me to expect a minimum of 3-6 months to sell a boat.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Chicago
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Terry

When I sold my 27' in March 2002, it had been on the market since February 2000.  Neither the stock market or the job market has improved since then so patience is the key.  The good news is there are fewer 34's for sale than 27's.  Good luck.

Also, I read this website 5 out of 7 days per week.  I'm glad I didn't have to read 358 opinions about whether the price of the boat is too high.  I suspect Charlie is glad as well...

Alohman

We Purchased our 1986 C34 in June 2001.  Purchased in Norfolk VA.  I think draft might make a difference in pricing as we purchased 5.7'draft and this is on the deep end of draft for middle chesapeake bay, maybe scarring off some buyers who don't realize the benefits of a deep draft boat.

Boat was well equipped needing only minor interior cosmetic work and a replacement genoa, gel coat and exterior teak all in above average condition.  Had some blisters on bottom which we have repaired.  Equipment included:
EPIRP (expired battery)
HEART INVERTER (1000)
LINK BATTERY MONITOR, 4 GOLF BATTERIES, 1 START BATTERY. 100 AMP ALTERNATOR
ELECTRICAL PANEL COMPLETELY REWIRED
DOYLE STACK PACK MAINSAIL
ADJUSTABLE BACKSTAY
SPREADER LIGHT/FLAG HALYARDS
CUSTOM CABINETRY AND ADDITIONAL STORAGE INSIDE
WINDESPEED/DIRECTION/DEPTH/GPS/WINDEX
ENGINE OVERHAULED
NUMEROUS TOOLS, SPARE PARTS
FRESHWATER FILTERATION SYSTEM
AUTOHELM 4000 AUTOPILOT
COCKPIT SHOWER
DODGER/BIMINI WITH FULL COCKPIT ENCLOSURE/HELM COVER/WINCH COVERS/LIFELINE COVERS/COCKPIT CUSHIONS
ADDITIONAL HALYARD & WISKERPOLE
REAR STANTIONS WITH FACTORY INTERGRAL AFT SEATS
ALDERBARBOR REFRIGERATION
CUSTOM FRONT HATCH
35 LB CQR ANCHOR W/30 FEET CHAIN 150 FT RODE
TRICOLR MASTHEAD LIGHT
AUTOMATIC BILGE PUMP CYCLE COUNTER,
STEREO W/COCKPIT SPEAKERS,
BRASS CLOCK, BARAMOTER, HANGING LAMP,
SEVERAL FANS and ADDITIONAL INTERIOR LIGHTS

Asking price was $54K  we paid $46K through a broker. It doesn't sound like your boat is priced too high if you are selling through a broker.  As someone else mentioned, patience may be required as boats might be taking longer to sell nowadays.

Bill Hendrick

Just sold my 88 Catalina 34 to a dealer as a trade in on a new Catalina 36 and got $52,000 for her so I think your price is definitely in the ballpark.

Terry

My review of your e-mail says you are asking $68,000.  Based on all the responses you've received, I think you need to be in the high 50's or low 60's.  You've got a lot of nice add-on's but being in salt water is a negative.  Again, good luck...