sticky anemometer

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

This winter my cups came off my mast head Raymarine ST60 anemometer.  I  found it, looked good, replaced it.  That was a week ago.  Now it won't spin in light air, takes about 5 knots of breeze to spin them, once spinning seems to read OK. 
Should I just wait and see if they free up?  Take the unit down and clean up, may be with RadioShack color TV cleaner?  Or, is the unit just going bad, it's 11 years old?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

A shot of wd40 solved the problem for me.  With the cups off, some dust or grit is probably binding at the shaft bearing.  In my case it was spider webs, but I'm sure the extra lube didn't hurt anything.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Jim : I'd call Raymarine and see what the manufacture recommends!!   
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Problem solved it self.  Just needed a sail with 30 kn gusts (me too).  Must have been a little sticky dirt.  Happy I didn't need to make another trip up the mast.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jim : It still may be a worthwhile call and ask Raymarine - what they'd recommend?   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

This has been my problem...everyone's anemometer at the dock spins at the slightest breeze.  Mine just sits there.  When the wind kicks up, theirs spins faster and mine appears much slower.  Over this past winter, I took the unit down and cleaned the spindle with some water and a toothbrush.  Sprayed McLube Superlube dry lubricant and was able to spin very freely in my basement, with just the faintest breath.  Now back up the mast, it just seems sluggish. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Dave DeAre

I had the same problem and no amount of cleaning/lubing could fix it. I ordered a replacement head from a low cost internet marine supplier. The replacement was much more substantial than my 2002 era head. Has now worked very well for two years. (Now spins fast and moves at slightest breeze) My opinion, the 2000 era Raymarine head was not durable.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Roc

Dave,
Where did you get the "low cost" replacement?  A replacement for this that I've seen is almost $400!!!

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD