Garhauer EZ-Glide Control line

Previous topic - Next topic

Solstice

I was wondering if anyone with the adjustable genoa cars could provide me with the line diameter you are using for the control lines. I used this system on my 320 for 13 years, but I do not recall what size line I used. I'm anxious to get these installed on my 355, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Jon Vez
C355
Solstice #17

noworries

I think mine came with 5/16 line. 
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

td

I used 3/8" line when I installed adjustable cars on Peregrine.  At the time Garhauer told me that either 3/8" or 5/16" would be fine.  I used 3/8" because I happened to have it on-hand.  The 3/8" works fine but 5/16" should have the advantage generating a little less friction running through the blocks.  I don't know if the difference would be noticeable.
td
Peregrine
#543, 1987

Stu Jackson

Jon,

If the blocks are the same ones used on the traveler controls by Garhauer, I recommend 5/16" - what happens is as the lines age the tend to swell and get caught in the sheave cheeks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Brockman

Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ron Hill

Jon : The size line for the Genoa cars is 5/16". 

As Stu mentioned the traveler is also 5/16", but you can oversize (like I did) to 3/8" - as it easier to hold on to. 

I wouldn't over size the Genoa car lines.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

I'm using 3/8 which is nice on the hand but does have
a bit of friction.  Not a big problem since I'm not
adjusting that much but 5/16 would run smoother.

My traveler came with 3/8" and as Stu mentioned the lines have
swollen and stiffened with age causing quite a bit of friction.  

Time to replace and I'm going to be looking for something a bit
smaller, either 9mm or 5/16.   Time to look at a single braid
I think ... flexible, easy on the hand.  But which one...
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Solstice

Thanks for the replies and info. Looks like it's going to be 5/16. I'll also talk to the great folks at Garhauer and see what they are recommending....appreciate the feedback!