Continuous roller furling line.

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

I need a new line on my Hood 915.  I bought 90 feet of 1/2" double braid polyester, not the super stretch resistant type.   For this application it seems to me a bit of stretch is a good thing as I have to cleat off two lines on the one cleat.

I ran it through the furler to see how it fits through and works with the rope stripper and other blocks along the way and as I'd hoped, the .060'' difference makes no difference. 

Since it's a nice rainy day  today I made a fid from 7/16 dowel and a pusher from 1/4'' dowel.   A few minutes on Youtube with norseaknothead and I made two constant diameter splices in less than two beers.  The first practice round had thin spots and I realized what I did wrong.  Cut it off and did another with much better results.  If it so happens that there is a thick spot that drags through the furler, I'll just re-do it on the boat.

It's quite easy and no one should have to run off to a rigger to get a line spliced.  If I can do it I'm sure anyone can.  Not so fast you say?  I agree that this would be extremely difficult with certain types of Line. I tried to practice with the line that came off the furler and I couldn't even open the cover to pull out any core.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Indian Falls

This is an update:

This ordinary line is easy on the hands, nice and smooth and soft.  Due to this, I believe, it does not have the traction in the drum for reefing.  The few times I attempted to let out only half the sail the drum would slip no matter how tight I pulled the continuous line and cleated it off.  The old line was rough and nasty on my hands but had the ability to hold in 20kt winds when about half the sail was unfurled.

Live and learn.
Dan & Dar

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The slipping may even be caused from the stretch of the line or the difference in the size.
Nice job on the splice.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Les Luzar

My Hood 915 has a 7/16ths line, not sure of the brand, perhaps New England Ropes, but it holds fine in any wind. I furl my headsail frequently when it is really blowing. What size line is it that you are using? It looks pretty thick. But perhaps it is the photo.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Indian Falls

It's 1/2 line but it measures less, it is right between 7/16 and 1/2.  I had hoped that this little bit larger would grab better, but this stuff is silky smooth.   The amount of tension I can put on this line pulling it by hand over a cleat will likely never stretch it.  I should have two cleats or a sheet stopper.  Just wrapping the two lines around the cleat is not very tight no matter how hard I pull it. 

How do you guys cleat this off?

also... you lose about 5' of line each time you redo this splice, good to know.  And thanks for the compliment!
Dan & Dar

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Indian Falls on February 09, 2013, 02:03:23 PM
This is an update:

This ordinary line is easy on the hands, nice and smooth and soft.  Due to this, I believe, it does not have the traction in the drum for reefing.  The few times I attempted to let out only half the sail the drum would slip no matter how tight I pulled the continuous line and cleated it off.  The old line was rough and nasty on my hands but had the ability to hold in 20kt winds when about half the sail was unfurled.

Live and learn.

Are you pulling BOTH ends of the line?  I found that if I tightened both ends it would hold for me.

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Les Luzar

I too tighten both ends of the line and cleat both ends together when I reef the jib, and it holds just fine.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Indian Falls

What??  if you pull one line or the other... it either rolls up or rolls out... what am I missing here?
When I cleat off the furler I have pull hard on both lines and wrap around the cleat.  It would be nice to lock the outgoing line in a sheet stopper so I can pull on the other line real hard and cleat it.  Or is this simply not done?
Dan & Dar

Ken Juul

What I did when I still had the continuous line system is if I had to reef is to hold tension on both lines, use the stern cleat to tie off one line. Take up any slack with the other end, may get a partial turn of the roller as you do this, then cleat off the other end on the roller furler cleat.  Worked ok, but still would slip if the gusts got too big or the drum too wet.  Much happier with my new single line.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Les Luzar

Ken,
Since my furler never slipped, I didn't think about cleating with the stern cleat and the furler cleat. I always wondered why the furler line was so long! Perhaps this is the reason. I have always cleated off both "roll-out & take-up" lines tight on the furler cleat. I also roll my furler pretty tight when I roll it up. I don't know if this helps but I don't want to worry about it unraveling during a blow at the dock, when I am not there.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ken Juul

As long as you have a couple wraps of the sheets around the furled sail I don't think you have to worry about unfurling at the dock.  Not enough sail area exposed to catch the wind.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

In addition to cleating off the furling line, I also use a sail tie around the furled sail at the clew.  I see a couple of sails trashed every year when they come unfurled at the docks.  I know it's usualy not necessary, it's just a thing I always do.   Even small thunder storms can have shifty and strong winds.  Takes less only a few seconds.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Les Luzar

In addition to triple wrapping the jib sheets around the sail when furled, I also keep the sheets snugged tight on the sheet winches when I am not sailing. My winch covers are designed to allow for this as well.  This insures that my roller furling will not unravel during a storm. I have seen too many head sails trashed when they have come loose in a blow at the dock.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

I completely agree with 3 wraps arong the roller furler.  Inaddition to a tight/cleated furling line, it is really necessary to keep the genoa sheet lines taunt as the other part of keeping the furling system from acidently rollering out in a T-storm.

I find it very important to keep the sheet lines taunt as I tend to grab them when I go forward to the bow.  When on someone's elses boat that has loose sheets, I neary bust my a__. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

I never thought of the stern cleat. It seems quite awkward thinking about it but once I'm out there I'm going to try using the stern cleat and the furler cleat, if it still slips then it must simply be that the drums traction surface is worn.
I may try a different line, one that is not so silky smooth on the outside. 

Thanks for the tip!
Dan & Dar