Electrical connection for constant 12v power?

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi all,
Would like some advice on where to splice in 12volt connections for items that need constant power.  For example, a carbon monoxide detector, propane leak sniffer, etc.  Right now I have the wire for my radio settings and my acu-gauge tank monitor connected to the hot wire on the 'Off-1-All-2' panel switch located under the Nav table.  No matter what the switch is set to, those wires always have power because they're connected to the incoming hot wire that leads from the batteries.  However, it's not a good idea to have more than three wires on a connection.  One thought is to get a multi-buss bar connected to the hot wire, mount it off to the side, and then connect various components to that.  Any other ideas??

Thanks!
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ted Pounds

Roc,

I think a bus bar would be a great idea.  Make sure you have a fuse between it and the hot lead off the battery switch.  Even if your battery leads are fused, (they should be though I confess mine are not) the fuses are too high a rating for the smaller wires you'd be running off the bus bar.  The PO of my boat attached little bus bars to the battery terminals.  I had to add in-line fuses for those wires when I got the boat.  I like the bus bar idea though. Since all the hot wires, except for the bilge pump, run up to the nav station I think I'll change mine.  Probalbly a good idea to put some sort of cover over the bus bar to avoid accidental shorts.   :cool:

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mark Elkin

I've added two buss-bar/fuse panels in Yorkshire Rose.  One is in the battery box and the other is behind the electrical control panel.  Both panels have holders for 4 traditional fuses.  The hot side for both panels lead back to a 70 amp "main" fuse before going to the battery "+" terminal.

I've got some pictures somewhere and just haven't posted this on the projects page yet.  (Guess I'd better get to it.)

Mark Elkin
Yorkshire Rose, #133
Mark S Elkin

Mark Elkin

Roc,
I've added a Project page to show the unswitched 12V power wiring I installed on Yorkshire Rose.  Hope this helps you.

Mark Elkin
Yorkshire Rose, #133
Mark S Elkin