Replace Water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Probably 10 or 15 years ago I put in a new Sherwood. I notice is seems very rusty except on the cover and  so their is  a little rust on the inside edge near where the impeller spins. I have a good o-ring in in place and I change out the impeller yearly. I was thinking of replacing the old water pump. What do folks think? Should I? Is that something that simply must be done every once in a while? Is it a professional job or can I do it? Do people prefer the Sherwood or the original Oberdorfer whose impeller cover is much easier to take off since the screws are not in back of the cover like the poorly designed Sherwood?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : If you are not having a problem, I'd leave it alone.

Changing the impeller every year is a great preventative maintenance program.  You also need to make sure that your "weep holes" in the pump body are not clogged.  On those few spots of rust, I'd spray some WD40 or BO7 and let them alone.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!  My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

It works fine. Looks lousy, rusty on the body but I did the WD 40 trick in the summer and it worked fine. Ran the engine over to Manhasset Bay at 2200 rpm on Sunday for a while and she purred like a kitten. Not bad for going on 22 yrs old and 634 hours !

Stu Jackson

Cliff, glad to hear she runs well.  Have you looked at the Critical Upgrades topic?  There's one on there about the weep holes on raw water pumps and what "a little rust on the inside edge near where the impeller spins" if it's on the outside of the pump.  If all you have is a little rust inside on the edge, doesn't seem to be an issue.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Cliff : I forgot to mention that cleaning the outside with lacquer thinner and some spray paint will work wonders for appearance. 

Just keep the weep holes open. 
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

No. Where are the critical upgrades topics found and, even more dumb, where are the weepholes?

crieders

Sorry. Found the critical upgrades.

Ron Hill

Cliff : When a pump like ours has two seals - one to keep the oil in the engine and another on the other side to keep the water in the pump.  The space in between has a couple of elongated holes, so that if either side seals leak, that fluid (oil or water) comes out and lets you know the seal failed. 
From which fluid "weeps" you know which seal failed. 

That's where the name "weep hole" comes from.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

"weep hole"

Stupid me.  I thought it meant?

It's time to cry just a little, cause you have to buy a new pump.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

crieders

I understand someone has posted a good outline for precisely how to replace the pump. Any thoughts as to where I might find. I am thinking about going with the Oberdorfer.

pablosgirl

Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Ron Hill

Cliff : I have a "ready to install" Oberdoffer (new shaft/impeller/seals)  that used as a spare if you are interested.  Make an offer
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

I think those photos are from a 35 and not our 25.
Yes, Ron if its one of the new ones with the o-ring, I would buy it. I am sorry but I have not checked prices but I trust you. What do you want for it?