V Berth hatch screen/shade

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Anyone, fabed up a shade/screen for the v berth hatch?  I noticed in the archieves a nice screen frame  My problem is in the morning when the sun comes up it lights up the whole v berth while trying to get a little more shuteye, I have been laying a towel or something outside on top but would like to have something permanent inside.
I did finish and like the center hatch screen idea from Ron,  that already had a wood frame so it was relativily easy.  The front hatch doesn't have a frame.   Thanks Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Fred Koehlmann

We bought hatch awnings from Genco Marine, in Toronto, for our to topside hatches. A large size for the forward V-berth hatch and a medium for the salon hatch under the boom. They work great to keep both the sun and rain out, while we have the hatch open for ventilation.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

waterdog

I have four snaps screwed into the headliner around the hatch.  They facilitate three different uses: blackout shade, bug screen, and wind scoop.   And then depending on conditions, the bug screen actually has male and female snap parts so we can snap the windscoop to it and use both at the same time.

There are no frames to deal with - we just bunch them up and throw them in a drawer.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Lance Jones

Zarcor has a good sunshade product.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

It is a fairly easy project to sew external covers for both the hatches.  Lay a sheet of scrap material or plastic over the hatch, mark the edges all the way around.  Add an inch all the way around.  Lay your template on the cover material and cut it out.  Fold the extra inch back to form a pocket and sew it up.  On the hinge edge, cut a slot into the pocket to insert a string or thin bungee.  Use a wire coat hanger to snake the string/bungee around.  Place over the hatch, tighten the string and the pocket will curl under the lip of the hatch.  Tie it tight, place the tails under the cover.

We also have a cover for the companionway.  Attaches with a snap on each end of the sliding hatch.  Great for keeping the sun at dawn/dusk from shining right into the cabin.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Bob : I've written a couple of articles on making a sunbrilla cover for the Vberth hatch.  I wanted it so you didn't get "moon burnt" or have the sun come in before 07:30 reveille!!

I first made mine similar to Ken's recommendation, but found that the sunbrilla was too stiff and bunched up in the corners, so I used some other (thinner) polyester material for the edging. 
It's held in place by thin shock cord. 
Ron, Apache #788

Dave DeAre

Catalina Direct made a V-Berth hatch cover for me from Sunbrella. It has a shock cord inside, you just fit it over the hatch open or closed. It blocks light and you can open the hatch with the cover on, it as needed. Always use it when we sleep on the boat.
I also had Catalina Direct make a Lifesling Cover from Sunbrella. Both match the canvas on the boat, "Captains Navy." I have had both for about 4 years. Highly recommend.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

BlueWind

Ocean Air makes the Trapezoid hatch shade Lance referred to available through Zarcor. I installed one and it's great. It fits high and tight with a good tension roller. It keeps the V-berth dark. Here's a link: http://www.zarcor.com/products/oceanair/railshade.php

sailingdream

Hey Ron would happen to have any articles on the making of your cover?

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 15, 2011, 01:44:29 PM
Bob : I've written a couple of articles on making a sunbrilla cover for the Vberth hatch.  I wanted it so you didn't get "moon burnt" or have the sun come in before 07:30 reveille!!

I first made mine similar to Ken's recommendation, but found that the sunbrilla was too stiff and bunched up in the corners, so I used some other (thinner) polyester material for the edging. 
It's held in place by thin shock cord.