Autohelm ST 4000 & Calibration Instructions

Previous topic - Next topic

thombarton

I have a 1998 Mark 11 and broke a wheel and the clutch engagement on the wheel drum of my ST 4000 this summer. Neither Ratheon nor MGM services these units anymore, nor are spare parts available.

Does anyone know a source for a new or used ST 4000 wheel drum?

Paulus

You might try Torresen Marine in Muskegon, MI. I know they had some used parts last spring.  #1-231-759-8598. Ask for the service dept.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ken Juul

might want to try Minney's.  Online inventory is down, try emailing: minneys@aol.com

May also ask any local electronics shops, maybe they have one from an upgrade.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

If you're in Kingston, Ontario, you may try to contact a guy in Waterdown hear Hamilton.  I tried to reach him via email with no luck but perhaps a phone call would work.  It looks like he has some older AutoHelms available from what appears to be a used boat parts shop he is running out of his house.
http://www.barnaclebillstuff.com/4.html

Hopefully this helps.  Good Luck.

(I damaged my ST4000 mast head wind instrument as I was stepping the mast in the spring and need to find a replacement.  I just need the vanes.)

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

StephenK

There's a guy in Colorado, Dan Gerhardt,  that has helped me out a lot with ST4000 problems...he has the knowledge and a bunch of spare parts.
I would send an e-mail to him at     c250@mydurango.net

Good luck

Steve W10

Dave, I did the same think last year.  Interestingly Genco (downtown Toronto) had ordered a few of them just before I asked them about it, and they had a kit in stock.  The sticker on the box says....

"E28081   TRANS SERVICE KIT (D)    MASTHEAD"
with a UPC of     "7   23193 28081    2"
Made in Hungary

It was $29.95 for the two piece kit (weather vane and spinner).  Exact replacement..... and now... my stuff works again. :)

Steve

thombarton

Thanks for the suggestions for autohelm parts. I'll try the
Watertown lead and then Torrensons and let you know the results.
Tom

Dave Spencer

Steve,
Thanks for the info about the wind vane.  I searched the Raymarine PN you provided and found several sources in Canada and the US between $24 and $49.  I expect to be near Genco sometime shortly so I'll stop in and pick up the kit.  Interesting that I was able to find the part on the Raymarine web site but only after entering the part number.  I'm not sure that I would have ever found it knowing only the description.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Kirk Garner

I need to reset the fluxgate compass apparently and there is a 'Linerazation Procedure' that I have found several references to, however, I can find no explanation of what this procedure actually entails. I spoke to a retired electronics guy who was vaguely familiar with the Autohelm 4000 but could not remember exactly how to reset. He knew it entailed motoring in circles of apprx 100 yards diameter but nothing else. Anybody have a clue here?

Thanks, as always!
Kirk
Kirk Garner

Stu Jackson

Kirk, it's called calibration, and it's a basic of every autopilot I've ever seen except for the older ones with twist-to-turn knobs usually seen on tiller pilots.  RTFM which you can find easily online for your model.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

thombarton

Thanks to all who responded to my Autohelm problem, especially Paulus....as Torrensens did have one that fits the bill!

Tom

Ken Juul

archived manuals are located here:  http://www.raymarine.com/Default.aspx?site=1&section=3&page=657

St4000 alignment procedures:
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Kirk Garner

Thanks very much, I will give this a try!
Kirk Garner

scotty

It's funny.  A lot of times I read the posts just to see what's up.  Then, as in this case, I'll realize that this is something that I should do.  So, next time I take the boat out, I'll check Otto's bearing against the steering compass (and the GPS) and see if it needs calibration.  So, once again, thank you all for presenting so much valuable information.
Scotty