Continuous line splice on roller furling

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

In short, mine came undone. How difficult is it to re-splice?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jim Hardesty

Lance,
Without knowing what type of line, I can't really say.  Do you want to know how to splice it?  Then find out and do it.  Lots of information on the web and books.  Knowing that it will be time consuming, but I find doing my own very satisfying.  Also, if the line has been loaded and used, braided line won't splice well.  As a temporary fix I have seen sewing the lines together with or without whipping worked well.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

What I do is print out the instructions from this site.

http://www.neropes.com/SplicingGuideChoice.aspx

Sampson Ropes also has a good site.  Then I google, bunch of good splicing vids on U Tube.  Watch the vids and compare the instructions until I have a good handle on what I'm doing. 

Did my first double braid eye splices this weekend.  The end to end is supposed to be one of the advanced splices.  Might want to buy some extra line and practice on some short pieces.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

I found a good video on You Tube. He makes it look sooooo easy. I've done SOME splicing in my life but, I'll practice on the old line... Any suggestions as to what type and how much new line to purchase?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Steve McGill

Lance,

I replaced and re-spliced mine last year, I followed what is in the "Tech Notes" the suggested size and instructions were crystal clear. It is listed in the May 2010. I do not recall who to give the credit to as I first read it in the Main Sheet. As someone on this site frequently mentions those Tech Notes have a wealth of information.

Good luck

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ron Hill

Lance : You didn't mention it, but it's for the Hood 915 continuous furling line? 
The type of splice that you want is an end to end constant diameter splice.

I had to make that splice long ago and found out that most riggers don't know how to make this splice.  As Ken mentioned that only place that I found it then was at Sampson Ropes.

Mine turned out OK, but it wasn't the prettiest of splices.  I used new 7/16" Dacron line.

Good Luck with your splice.
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Did ours last summer and it was not at all difficult.  Sampson had the clearest directions, at least for us, so we followed these to the letter .  We did 2 practice splices and the final product was very acceptable.  Good luck.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Lance Jones

Thanks all! This is what I wound up following. Very good instructions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpyhS7WEWSE
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622