Port Window Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

mel low

I need to replace my opening port windows and wondered if anyone has used New Found Metals windows. I looked at them at several boat show and was impressed with the quality. I received one as a gift.(my wife likes them) They are made of 316 stainless steel. This makes them heavy but they look to be water tight. The price is $229.95 per 5 X12 window. I would like to see if someone else has installed these and were there issues. Their website is www.newfoundmetals.com

RV61

Mel,
My 1986 Catalina 34 received the Newfound metal portlights 8 years ago. The Pros are they look great, great gasket and have not had any leaks.
The big issue though is due to the angle of the cabin top side they do not fully drain thus when you open them after a rain I either need take a rag and push the water out from the outside prior to opening or when opening from the inside I must take a bowl and catch the water as I open them.

Another issue is curtains when they are open. I have not figured out how to do this yet. But not a big deal to me.

On the install had to cut many screws to proper size due to varying degrees in cabin top thickness.
I use caulk instread of the auto glass strips they recommend as i found easier to work with.

On my 86 the most forward on starboard side in the main salon the window latch was a tight squeeze around the teak strip just below the window.

Not sure if NewFound has changed thus drain at the angle of our cabin top at which they will fully drain. Ask them before you buy up to what degree they will drain and check that against the angle of your cabin top  !!!      
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fuzzy

We have also replaced our old ports with New Found Metal's ports, although we used the plastic ones.  Very happy with the
quality and appearance.  The only problem is as Rick mentioned; the angle of the cabin prevents proper drainage.  We
use a drywallers "mud" tray which fits the window just right and cathes just about all the water then we wipe the drips
with a cloth.  Not too much of a problem and only need to do that after a rain.  We also had trouble on the starboard forward
saloon port in that the teak trim was in the way, had to shape it with a router to make room but it's not too noticable. 
We also like the  screens much better and the hardware is very good quality and adjustable as needed to maintain a water
tight seal.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475