Tacked on the A/C purchase and went this a way

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

A fairly cheap alternative if your boat doesn't have installed Central Air AND you don't want to climb over a companion way mounted A/C. We love this-- so far! Today is the big test to see how cool it keeps the boat during the day. http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Products-Cooling-Air-Conditioners/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbtcd/R-202051352/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 It cooled the boat down last evening from 94 to 78 in less than 30 minutes. No condensate to worry about unless the recycle tank gets full. Very easy to move around.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Roc

Lance,
I see you don't have to climb over the companionway for this, but don't you need to climb around it inside the boat?  Where did you put it?  If it fits under the dinette table, that would keep it out of the way.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

chuck53

I've got a buddy who uses a standard window A/C and he sits it on the deck over the mid-deck hatch behind the mast.  He came up with a canvas cover to enclose it.  Works fine.  Nothing inside the boat to work around and no unit in the companionway to crawl over.

Lance Jones

Roc,
It does take up a small bit of space at the base of the companion way steps. We move it left or right depending on if we're staying or leaving the boat. There is room to go into the galley, aft berth, head and up the steps. I'll get images this evening. I'm making a new lower crib board to fir the exhaust hose outlet. Not the perfect arrangement; but, it really is more cost effective and offers options that an installed unit doesn't. Long term, I'd love to go the installed route. Unfortunately the current economy doesn't allow that.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Roc

Lance,
I just had an idea...does it fit inside the hanging locker, just behind the Nav table?  Probably not with the way the opening is already cut, but maybe modifications might make it fit there.  Curious if that would work
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Lance Jones

Probably. However, it would still have to exhaust outside and the output vent would need to have a place to go.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

chuck53

Quote from: Roc on June 22, 2011, 01:27:00 PM
Lance,
I just had an idea...does it fit inside the hanging locker, just behind the Nav table?  Probably not with the way the opening is already cut, but maybe modifications might make it fit there.  Curious if that would work

That's where I installed my Cruise Aire 16k BTU unit.

Lance Jones

Ok. Outside temp yesterday was 93. Inside temp with V-berth and aft cabin shut off was 78. So, it passed our requirement!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

karista

Quote from: Lance Jones on June 23, 2011, 05:52:10 AM
Ok. Outside temp yesterday was 93. Inside temp with V-berth and aft cabin shut off was 78. So, it passed our requirement!
Will a Honda 2000 run this AC?
Where is you drain? I assume the bilge?
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

gwp

I have the same setup and have racked brain looking for best location. Ideally, under the navigation station but most units are too tall and.....exhaust is too far from port light. Keep mine under table and run exhaust thru starboard port light using 6" insulated duct. Condensation drains to bilge. The Haier CPRB08XCJ is one that will fit but the exhaust is still a problem. Its hot on gulf coast.....would like to see a long thread on this topic as $2k for marine air is not gonna happen. Ideas???

Lance Jones

I've had it running for over 2 days now and have not had a single drop to drain from the condensate tank (Humidity is 0ver 95%). It has a simple screw cap that will drain the tank if needed. The system uses the condensate tank to cool the a/c motor so there is little if any accumulation.

We keep ours at the foot of the companion way and route the exhaust up the side of the steps and out through a new crib board I'm fabricating. Easy to get around it. So far, it's been a dream. I'll take pictures tonight.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Uh, oh. Reversed the intake and output and now Atlanta is 10 degrees cooler today.  :rolling
What a machine!  :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Lance Jones

Here are the images of the A/C.
Bottom image is the roughed out, new crib board with exhaust outlet.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Exodus

So did you live aboard last summer in Atlanta with no A/C?

I can not imagine that this would be possible.