Plastic deck fill covers

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck53

My '87 C-34 has the plastic deck fill covers you use a winch handle on.  I just broke one.  I googled but couldn't find any place that sold them.
Any suggestions?

Kevin Henderson

Just went through the same drill a few months ago. 
Catalina Direct has exact replacements... not cheap but dependable.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=73
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

chuck53

Thanks and you're right...not cheap for a plastic cap.

Bob K

I replace my red plastic fuel fill cover every few years, as the plastic gets brittle and can crack.  I once had a hairline crack at the bottom of the hole where the winch handle goes.  Dont want to chance water entry.   Others on this list have replaced the entire assembly with a different one with metal cover.   Be careful if you try that - some of the available replacement deck fills have a smaller diameter mounting flange, and that places the three mounting screw holes which fasten the assembly to the deck too close in -the screws will break through into the large hole cutout.  Then you'll have to remount the old original deck fill, return the replacement, and buy a new red plastic fuel fill cover until you are ready to try it again another year.   Not speaking from personal experience, of course  :cry4`
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ralph Masters

Just ordered two new blue ones and a new red one, $18+ each, wow..............  The pump out alredy has black on it and the aft water cap was black also so I'll toss it in the dock box so if I ever need to replace the pump out cap I have one, don't worry about it leaking but it does not have the chain.  Enough said.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Take the chain OFF.  Experience has shown that dependence on the chain ends up losing the fill cap overboard, sooner or later.  I remove the chains or never connect them when I buy new caps, and place the deck caps inside the cockpit whenever I take them off for fills.  This was one of the first things mentioned in the C34 Tech Notes starting back in 1987, and have been repeated many, many times since.  Now, at $18 a pop, it makes even more sense.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I have the chains on the plastic water and waste caps and the only one attached is to the fuel cap.  If you are really interested in keeping your fuel clean and "waterless" change that fuel entire fill assembly to a stainless unit !!!
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

Is there a specific stainless unit that fits our template?
Scotty

Roc

I took the chain off my fuel cap because I found when inserting the nozzle to get fuel, it was a tight fit and breaking the chain by accident seemed likely.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

RV61

Scotty,
WM , Defender and Catalina Direct all have stainless units. Before ordering I would to measure each fill for Hose diameter, Deck Hole diameter and deck imprint of current unit to be sure what you order will work for your boat as as their could differences due to what Catalina had on hand at the time your boat was made or any changes previous owner could have made.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ron Hill

Scotty : I believe the fuel hose for the tank fill is 1 1/2".  
I've made numerous posts on how to replace that fuel fill.

You'd be surprised how many C34 owners have found cracked fuel caps after they have found their diesel fuel contaminated with water!! 
The cracked fuel cap was a topic of early Mainsheet tech note articles in the late 1980s !!
Ron, Apache #788

kevMar

I for one will atest to the replaceing the plastic fuel cap DO IT with a stainless cap and while you are at it replace the hose to... i did mine and was amazed to see the hose was about to crack!!!   The plastic fuel cap had a pin hole leak in it and therefore got water into my fuel.. I removed the tank which is VERY easy to do removed the fuel and took it home. Rinsed it 4 times with acetone and now i have the cleanest fuel in eastern NC.  I now use a filter when putting fuel into the tank.

Ralph Masters

Yeah, that chain on that fuel cap gets in the way is makes fueling a pain, but it's easier then taking the tank out and cleaning the water out of the tank.  It's like the hampsters on the Kia commerical say, "You can deal with this, or you can deal with that!!"

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Guys : If the fuel nozzle won't fit into the 1 1/2 " fuel hole you are dealing with a High Speed Pump.
It isn't the chain that's the problem, so when you go to a fuel dock always ask for the low speed pump.

The low speed pump nozzle will fit with room to spare and usually will fill with much less foam.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Actually I refuel with a 5 gallon gerry can and siphon hose.  Sit the can on the perch seat, dip the hose to the bottom of the can, place finger over end of hose and pull it up and down placing the end in the fuel fill opening.  Remove finger, let fuel flow into tank.  No mess, no worry about foaming, no over filling, and the chain does not get in the way because it's attached to the fuel cap laying on the cockpit floor where I know it won't fall overboard.  Life is good.  30 years in the navy taught me to work smart, not hard.

Ralph
Ciao Bella 
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987