Museum Wax

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

I just thought I would share with the group an innovative way I have found to keep things in place and secure with regards to interior decorator items aboard pau Hana.  Wanting to add some color to the interior we had a small vase and a bouquet of flowers.  (I know, I know... the Admiral likes those kind of things) The trouble with flower vases or any other type of semi permanent decorative installation, one is faced with either using an adhesive or worse yet drilling to secure a screw.  Since we live in Earthquake country we have long used a product called Museum wax to tack down plates, curios etc in a the china cabinet and on shelves.  The Museum wax is simply that... a pliable wax that you knead and shape to fit.  Place it under a desired item to stick it in place and press firmly to a shelf or table.  It is not permanent and does not stain. It holds securely in place and when your done with it, pull it up and wipe away any residue with a wet cloth and a mild cleaner.
A tidy way to "secure for sea" those little things that get in the way.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

lazybone

Vases and bouquets of flowers.

yea, that's not going to happen.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ken Juul

The stuff works!  Have some live aboards in the marina that swear by it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

noworries

Yeah I can see this now...

Admiral: "Honey, can we put this vase in the boat?  Can you think of any way to keep it from falling over?"
Me: Thinks of that post he saw on c34... something about museum wax... yeah that's it...  "Nope, can't be done."

1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Kevin Henderson

:cry4` :cry4` :cry4`
Okay, after first posting this idea to the group and thouroughly having my manly man feelings hurt (just kidding  :razz:) over flowers, vases and decorating ideas, I was determined to validate the utility value of this idea and share with the group.  In addition to the  previously mentioned decorative suggestions of use I have also found museum wax to be extremely useful to post mandated placards on the bulkheads without the use of any screws.  I mounted my BoatUS and VHF instructions at the Navstation on the panels cleanly and neatly without screws and they can be grabbed and held in the hand simply by pulling them up.  Lastly, I have had a difficult time with a few of the plastic trims around my Lewmar ports in the main cabin.  The old adhesive Velcro had deteriorated and would not hold.  A little museum wax to stick them in place an Viola... no more loose trim.
Just some tongue in cheek thoughts  :abd:)
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

lazybone

Sorry kevin, your too late. 
We threw your Man-Card overboard. 

:D
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

scotty

Every Christmas   :santa  I put bows and garlands all around the cabin.  (You should see the lights on the mast and lifelines!)  Next year I'm gonna get me some 'seum wax!  You know, a few spring bouquets might spruce up the cabin right now!?!   :thumb:  I also put up flags opening day!
Scotty

Ralph Masters

Nice save Kevin.  remember what they taught us in the navy about "ata boys"??

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Dare I ask where to buy this "Museum Wax" and do you think it would keep our two Chihuahua's in place?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

Home Depot........ Yep.... given a liberal application, I bet Chihuahua's could even be kept from becoming 'gear adrift' while pitching and rolling.. :rolling

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=museum+wax&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

We have a new barometer we thought about putting in the salon, maybe I'll have to check out this Museum Wax too.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

MW sounds like a great idea.  I wouldn't trust a pricey barometer to it, though.  What's a couple of small holes in the bulkhead?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

I was thinking of hanging the barometer on a screw head and then use the MW on the bottom to keep it from swinging.  But it maybe that it would be far better to put a small screw there too.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

IIRC, they usually come with three screw holes.  I always put two up top and the third on the bottom.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

The one we have is meant to be hung in a house, has a barometer, thermometer and humidity indicator in a wood case shaped sort of violin shape, (long neck, round bottom).  One mounting hole in top on back.  Maybe it's best left in storage.....................

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987