keel to hull joint, stat 40 charger

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

When we hauled our 97 model this year I noticed what appeared to be a crack in the paint, 4 inches long on both side of the leading edge of the keel, high up, about where I suspect it joins the hull faring.In looking closer it's not just the paint.  It's a thin crack, about 1/16"  It looks like it previously was caulked (maybe with white 5200?). Is that how they finish off in the construction process.  The keel bolts seem tight.  Am I making the right assumption? and should I put alittle more 5200 and repaint.  I know on my old pearson there was a large gap in the same area and the 5200 is what the yard used.  Or is this a sign of something more serious?  any ideas?  THanks

also. if you are considering the stat power charger.  My Flyback failed this summer.  I added a 2x2" x 6" long to the bottom part of the board where the old chrager was mounted, moved the waste basket board up 2" by placing a 2x2 on the existing 2x2 and screwing it in, and was just able to get the charger to fit.  the stat 20 and 40 are the exact same deminsions so I went with the 40.  also mounted an hour meter just under the fridge, at an angle out of the way but easily visible.  (the hour meter went out but the tachometer is fine.)  Just back from 2 months in the Abacos and after tropical storm Cristobal, have great confidence in the boat and ground tackel (33#bruce, ht chain and 5/8 rode)

Stu Jackson

Use the messag board search engine, type in "+ catalina + smile".

Also try the main webite search engine.

Not a problem, based on your input.

Good idea about the Statpower unit.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rirvine

I have the same keel "smile" on my 97 as well.  It has been there since the boat was about1 year old and does not get any worse over time.  While you have to boat out, check the torque on all the keel bolts â€" should be 105 ft lbs.  If you find any loose, remove the nut and washer and put some 5200 under it to stop any tendency for water to leak into the bilge.  

Yes, you do need a long socket for the torque wrench, The best way to make some is to have a shop weld two sockets together with a piece of tubing â€" all told about $30 worth.

Also replacing the Flyback charger is a very good idea.  Mine went bad during the last winter and managed to destroy a set of batteries in the process â€" an expensive failure.