GORE GFO Packing Material

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Been looking at the manual - very informative. However, what size wrench(s) will I need for removal and then adjustment? I know, I should know this -- but I don't. First time doing this and want to be ready from the start.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

I just used some big channel-lock (some folks call them water pump pliers) pliers...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Ted makes a good point.  I bought two wrenches way back when:  a fixed one and adjustable one.  The fixed one is a tad too big on the flat-to-flat of the locking nut, but still does a good job.  The adjustable one is pretty "loosey goosey" but does the job.  I leave them rolled up in a towel on the counter over the engine in the aft cabin.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably use the channel lock pliers, I have two on board anyway.

If you want to buy tools for that particular use, simply measure the flat to flat dimensions of the lock nut and packing gland nut and enjoy your trip to the hardware store.  Don't buy "marine" tools.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : If your packing gland has been dripping salt water and the packing not changed in a few years, you just might have some fun getting them (lock nut & packing nut) apart.

I would NOT recommend using a slip joint type pliers, as you can easily chew up those bronze nuts. 
Go to a hardware store and get a plumbing wrench that will open to the packing nut size.  Then get a fixed open end for the lock nut size.  You're only talking under $20 and it's an investment well spent rather than chewing up those soft nuts with the wrong tool!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

StephenK

Lance,

You could just come over to J dock and borrow my tools. I use a plumbing wrench on the packing nut and an adjustable  vise grip on the locking nut. They work fine, in fact I just adjusted mine this past weekend.

Your not on salt water, but Ron brings up a good point about corrosion. I would recommend applying some PB blaster to the contact point the day before and let it work in.

Stephen Kruse

Stu Jackson

You might or might not need something to get the nuts apart at first.

To avoid this issue in the future, slather Lanocote on the threads and you'll not have any problems next time(s).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ralph Masters

The easiest way to get the lock nut loose is to use a small hammer and a nail set to tap the lock nut with.  It doesn't take much of a whack only three or four taps and it'll turn right off.  I use plenty of WD40 and a bronze wire brush to clean it up before I tried to loosen it.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Hawk

Thanks Stu and Ron,

Now I know why I never went into engineering. Of course I read and reread the manual under the packing gland section but I just went down to the boat to look for the diagram Stu pointed out........yep same one and it is 3/16 packing on my 1990.
I ordered Duramax Ultra suggested by Mainesail from Hamilton Marine...much cheaper than the Gore - hopefully as good as Maine says.
Now I just have to get the lock nut off which is definitely locked on...may need some heat.
Thanks.
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Hawk

The Duramax Ultra X went into the packing gland this weekend.

I had to unseize the lock nut with a couple weeks of hitting it with the PB Blaster spray.  I was prepared to put a torch on the packing gland to heat it but first though I put two sizable wrenches on the lock and gland nuts and gave the lock nut wrench a touch of persuasion with a good crack using a 2 lb mini sledge...did the trick. I would not use a pipe wrench on the soft brass. The packing material came out using a couple dental type picks you can buy at the hardware store. Several have different angles with very sharp points, like hooking into a nice salmon. I did initially try the drywall screw but the picks did the job. The new material went in easy enough and now will slowly adjust the drip rate without overtightening.

I'll report later on how the Duramax does...I know Mainesail highly recomends it.

Hawk

Ron Hill

Guys : A couple of things:
1. 99% of the C34s use 3/16" packing, but there are a few that use 1/8" packing -- even thought the C34 owners manual says 3/16"  You need to check your to be sure that Catalina factory actually used a 3/16" packing gland and not a 1/4" packing gland.
2. I made my own packing removal tool out of a coat hanger.  Bent the end 90degrees and sharpened it.  See early Mainsheet tech notes!!  
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 05, 2011, 07:01:01 PM
the owners manual says 3/16"  You need to check your to be sure.

I think Ron mean 3/16 or 1/4.

Hawk

The Duramax I used was 3/16 in my 1990 as per the manual.
Hawk

Ralph Masters

When doing repacking on your shaft packing gland, if it is tight and won't come off with the twist of two wrenches  holding in oppisite directions, spray your favorite spray on it, let it sit a while then use a nail set and small ball peen to tap on the locking nut to undo it.  Remember, the locking nut turns toward the back of the shaft, away from the engine.
Please don't try to apply heat, we would really hate to read about a boat fire in these pages.

Ralph
Ciao Bella

PS - a nail set looks like a center punch, only has a flat face vice a point on the end.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987