Holding tank odor

Previous topic - Next topic

rdavison

For the past year I've been trying to track down a persistent, low level, holding tank odor that is quite evident after the boat has been closed up for a day or two.

"to reduce scolding: have read all articles on the site and in tech notes and everything ever written by the sewage lady and this isn't inlet hose odor."

So far have replaced all hoses including vent hose with proper, high quality sewage hose and can see no signs of oozing at fittings or macerator pump.   To keep it under control, I periodically dump a gallon of bleach over all hoses, pump and tank, rinse well, and then pump it out of the bilge.

I'm thinking the next step is to replace the macerator just in case there is a small leak that I'm not detecting.  After that, all that's left is the tank itself.  Has anyone ever run into odor permeating the tank material?  Other ideas?

A little of this odor sure goes a long way!

Randy Davison  k7voe

jentine

My bet is on the tank.  I virtually eliminated the persistant odor by always leaving the tank empty.  Prior to departing after a period of use, we empty the tank, flush with water and empty again.  The odor has all but disappeared.
Jim Kane 1207

rdavison

Jim, I'll try the thorough rinse discipline to see if it helps - thanks.

Ron, I found your posting.  The product is Bio-Clean.  I tried Peggy Hall's bio equivalent - now from Raritan and found that it helped vent odors for a day or so before bad odors returned.  From her writings, I concluded that the vent hose was unlikely to supply enough oxygen to support the aerobic bacteria in the style to which they are accustomed.  I'll check out Bio-Clean.  Maybe it's different and will work better.

Do you think the tank walls themselves can become permeated?  Have you heard of it?  If so, that would suggest that replacing the holding tank would be preferable to trying to keep the contents smelling pretty all the time!

Randy Davison  k7voe