exhaust flange gasket

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

I need to replace the exhaust flange gasket on my m35.  I did this on my old m25 (C30) a couple of times.  The first time I did this I changed the gasket and it continued to leak.  Changed it again and add some high temp rtv and it worked. 

Does anyone have any concerns adding the rtv to the gasket.  Good, Bad, indiferent? 

I have seem some have gone this route and others have not. 

Thanks in Advance
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

Cory : I installed a new engine a couple of years ago and that exhaust flange gasket #036425 should be straight forward and easy to replace.

You have a clamp (#036541) that holds your "riser" to the exhaust manifold with the gasket in between.  It is COMPLETELY differant than your C30 M25 engine connection - Unless your M25 was a XP"B" model.

Look in your parts book page 25 and you'll see the clamp (item 31) and the gasket (item 32).  Your riser maybe differant than the elbow shown in the parts book, but the mating surface is the same.

The reason that I also mentioned the clamp is that I've never heard of that gasket failing and suspect that the clamp might be faulty or not installed correctly.  You'll have to check

Ron, Apache #788

cmainprize

Hi Ron
Thank you for the reply. I alwasys look forward to your thoughts and consider them gospel.  The gasket I am changing is part # 298599.  It is the thick blue one that goes between the exhuast manifold and the exhaust flange.  Are we talking about the same thing?  The part number you listed is different.  I noticed a bit of antifeeze at the bottom of the flange when I was changing the hose so I thought I would change it as well.  This is the one I was wondering if it is better to add some RTV like I did in the past.

Thanks in Advance
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

Cory We must be talking about differant things!!  I assumed that you have a M35B engine and I'm looking in a 2001 M35B parts book.  So let me start over.

If you are replacing the blueish/green gasket that is a duel purpose gasket - because it holds the coolant in the reservoir and seals the exhaust gases:
You really don't need anything but a gasket, if both surfaces are absolutely clean.
You can also put a thin coating of Hi-Temp RTV on both metal surfaces and it won't hurt anything (just more to clean off if you ever have to change it again).

Sorry for the mix up.   
Ron, Apache #788