Exterior Teak Finish

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

We will soon be aboard for more than the 1 to 2 consecutive months each year, and are starting to consider some changes based on being able to do "regular" monthly and weekly maintenance.  We have been using Cetol (various types and number of coats) for the past 5 years and while it generally stands up to the Florida sun, we do not particularly like the "painted" look.  We are considering going to a teak oil, or a tung oil, or something that while requiring more/steady maintenance, will provide a better (to us) look.  Our interior is oiled and we do like the look.  Any suggestions or experience with oiled exterior teak, or other thoughts would be appreciated.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stu Jackson

Steve, I went through all three phases of wood treatment, four if you consider letting it "age" which I call simple neglect.

Varnish - had it on our C25 and it came with our C34.  Hated it, removed it.

Natural Look - never liked the gray, hard on our hands, too.

Teak Oil - thought the color was brilliant and easy to maintain.  That is until the six months rolled around, it got all black and we had to do it over again.  Tried a second round, figuring it must be us, or air pollution, so we hosed and cleaned after each sail, which back then was once a week or more, no improvement.  The teak oil just darkened, to us, to an unfavorable color after a while and after all that effort cleaning, brightening, and oiling

Cetol - finally learned about it on our C25.  We liked it so much that we stripped all of the varnish off our C34 when we first got her, and cetoled it.  I don't "mind" the color of the "original" cetol, but there are now other colors in addition to the "normal" plus the gloss so you can look around for options.  I've never found anything to match the ease of application and the wear it sustains over a long time.

Others - There are, of course, other applications, the names escape me now, that aim to improve on cetol and its color, but are kinda equals to cetol with enhanced colors.  I'm sure if you did a search on cetol you'd stumble upon their names.  Armada might be one.

Good luck, it's one heck of a decision to have to make.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Wayne

I second the cetol.  Something I read somewhere suggested cetol as a base, cetol has excellent resistance to sun degradation, but so-so for resistance to water degradation, then topping the cetol with a varnish topcoat which seals the wood really well against water penetration.  Every 6 months to a year a coat of varnish to keep the water seal active.  I followed this advice for several years on a previous boat and it worked great.  Also, cetol natural doesn't look too bad--it doesn't have the orange glow of the original cetol.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Craig Illman

Stephen - TufShield  http://www.fisheriessupply.com/brand/852/results.aspx?page=2&did=12898   A friend that does brightwork as a career was very impressed with the product. Easy to apply, minimal number of coats and good longevity.

Bill Asbury

I've used Armada, which Stu mentioned, on a previous boat and found it satisfactory, but learned that most sailors around here prefer Cetol, so I've used it with good results for a number of years.  Cetol natural seems to be preferred by most folks of my acquaintance and is what I use.   
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

SeaFever

I have used Epiphanes on my Pearson 10M cockpit combing. It has been 2 years and it is still as good as new. Having said that, I do have a cockpit cover that provides some additional protection. Attached is a pic from my project in 2008 taken after 6 coats... :D
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Lance Jones

I too am a firm believer in Cetol. I've used it ever since my first C-22 in 2000. I redid all the exterior teak on Kitty's Cat 2 years ago and it still looks good. Just this weekend, I had to redo some bungholes on the long hand rail. Once the holes were repaired, I scuffed the entire hand rail and recovered with Cetol. Blended right in. This spring, I'll rescuff the entire exterior teak and recoat. Soooo easy.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Clay Greene

I went through the same progression as Stu - varnish to teak oil to Cetol.  We use the Cetol Marine Natural and I think it looks great.  We get lots of compliments on our brightwork.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Hawk

There is a good article on exterior wood coatings comparing many brands in Practical Sailor - Dec 2009 if you can get a copy.

I did my teak using Signature Honey Teak a 2 part system that has high gloss and no orangey look. It stands up well and can be spot touched up easily.
Cetol rated well but they noted the muddy colour that it can sometines show.

Its worth reading and I could scan/email it.
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Stephen Butler

Hawk, many thanks for the referenced article.  A scan and email would sure be appreciated!
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

lazybone

Deks olje.  Looks like a nice varnish and has a fairly hard finish.  With 3 to 4 coats in the spring, lasts all summer.  Bare spots and nicks are easily repaired and invisable.
Downside; Has to be completly stripped after 10 to 12 yrs because it darkens.
Pros; Easier and more forgiving than varnish.
       Doesn't look like sh!tty brown or orange paint.

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

You could also do a search on cetol and varnish and read for days.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Paulus

I am in the process of redoing my teak.  Replaced the eyebrows.  I have always used Cetol Natural.  Someone suggested that after about 6 coats, I should apply a Clear Coat, same as they used on bottom sides of cars.  The local body shop is willing to spray it on.  Has anyone used this and how hard is it touch up.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

From a conceptual point of view, having someone else do something on your boat that YOU can't do is counterproductive to DIY work.

Cetol makes a gloss finish if you like "shiny."  I've been perfectly happy with the finish on regular, old "orange" cetol.  They make other "colors" now, too.  Read up on the suggested search.

Your boat, your choice, but I have never heard of the clear coat approach on any boat or any website I've been a part of.  I wouldn't.

lazybone

Quote from: Stu Jackson on November 11, 2010, 12:31:07 PM
From a conceptual point of view, having someone else do something on your boat that YOU can't do is counterproductive to DIY work.

I with you Stu, nobody touches my baby except for haul out/in and then not unless I'm watching.
... but I have no problem with my wife going to the gentleman Gynecologist,  who I have never even met.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677