Wiring Harness

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

Now that we are out of the water, planning on upgrading the wiring harness. I know Seaward makes it but, where/who do I order the kit from ? The Seaward website has a lot of stoves and electric panels but no wiring harnesses or info on them or where to order them. Any links or phone numbers would be most appreciated. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong sites.

pablosgirl

I ordered mine from Seaward (592) 699-7997 last Aug, $50 Plus $11 for shipping; Part number UG1980

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Exodus

I just ordered mine from Catalina Direct, but you have to call them as well.  I could not find the upgrade kit listed on the web anywhere.

Also, make sure to check your panel to see if you have the amp meter or the volt meter in order to purchase the correct kit.

Ken Heyman

Call Seaward. They will know exactly what you are talking about.  There is alot of info on our website regarding the specifics and a variety of opinions.The complete kit with a volt meter,  new wiring and terminal strips is considerably more than 50 dollars. I bought the Seaward kit and did the upgrade earlier this year and was pleased with the results.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Hawk

And the terminal strips are not necessary...just be sure to order the harness long enough. I found that 17 feet gives plenty of length to connect direct to the cockpit panel and engine connections sans terminal strip.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

Shan : Look at my Mainsheet article on removing/replacing your engine (also in Projects).  You'll see I recommend that you just go ahead and hard wire the connections and skip using the connecting strips.  
I removed the old engine twice, reinstalled it once and installed a NEW engine - I NEVER touched the terminal strips. 
Therefore as I previously mentioned the terminal strips are only used on the production line.  Don't waste your money on them as you'll never use them after you install them!!  They are also a source of a future BAD connection! 
I recommend soldering the connections and protecting those soldered connections with heat shrink.  
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kirk Garner

Kirk Garner

mel low

I just ordered from Seaward on Friday. The 16' is standard was but with comments I read on this site I ordered 18'so I can wire without  splices. The cost was $90. This harness has 9 conductors. It was shipped on Monday

Kirk Garner

I called Seaward several times and finally just had to leave a message. Their answering message said they were closed on Fridays? Maybe I'm calling the wrong place (Whittier, CA)?
Kirk Garner

Ron Hill

Kirk : I show Seaward in "City of Industry, Ca 91745" at the same tel # listed.
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Does it come with instructions? No, I'm serious.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : Mine came with instructions.

As I've commented MANY times before, be especially careful as the wire colors in the diagram may not match what you have in your boat.  Infact the wire colors on one side of the plug (that you are replacing) may not match the color of the wire it was mated to!!  That's why I recommend that you leave 1/2" of wire on the plug when you cut the wire and attach the wire's one by one.

I still recommend that you skip the "euro" connectors.  Cut a wires that mate on each plug, strip the ends, slide on an inch of heat shrink, solder them together and use your heat gun to heat the shrink over the solder joint.  The proceed to the next pair of wires.  Can't be easier than that !!   

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Lance Jones on October 27, 2010, 01:36:05 PM
Does it come with instructions? No, I'm serious.

You can read the instructions right here on our website.  Go to C34 Tech wiki, Engine, Wring Harness.

I'd give away the link, but this is WAY too easy for anyone to find. :D :D :D

It's also in the CRITICAL UPGRADES.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

2ndwish

Lance- They are in Whittier and they are closed on Fridays. They also have a web page.
T