Compass removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

How do you remove the compass from the top of the pedestal?  I have removed the outer trim and light and can see that the compass bracket appears to be mounted with four good size phillips screws.  Whoever mounted it must have been a real gorilla because I cannot seem to get these screws to back out.  I did not want to force anything and break the mounting bracket which appears to be plastic.  Anyone know any trick to this?  My purpose for wanting to get under the compass is to check the transmission cable from the upper end and possibly lubricate it as suggested in an earlier post.  Ocassionally the transmission does not go into forward gear.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Charlie P.

I are corn-fused.  My Richie compass comes straight up with no tools.  The whole stainless collar and compass are held in with just a friction ring that is tightened/loosened with a small brass knurled screw below the bowl.  No need to use tools at all - but the wires for the light mean you need to either have a table to set the unit on or an assistant to hold it.  The collar is large enough to allow you to reach down into the pedestal.

Jim Rose

Remember to note your degree heading and lubber's line when you lift your compass.  It's just a friction fit and you could easily be off a few degree's when you reinstall it.

bjmansfield

Our compass installation is identical.  I bought the largest, good quality, correctly sized  phillips screwdriver i could find.  by very carefully turning and pushing down as much as possible, all 4 screws broke loose.  

Be sure and use anti-seize when putting it back together.

Jack Hutteball

Thanks for the info.  I marked the compass with fingernail polish across the two parts to aid in realignment.  There must be two kinds of compasses out there as mine is a closed base after the compass is removed.  My screw driver is big, but maybe I need a bigger one.  My dealer has taken a look at the cable and transmission from the bottom end and found no problems.  I thought I would be a nice guy and look at the cable from the top as they are an hour away from my moorage.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

cholder

Use an impact driver to loosen the four screws that hold the compass bracket to the pedestal.  The problem is corrosion.  When you reassemble the parts, use a smear of waterproof grease or similar good lubricant.

The impact driver imparts a slight shock combined with a downward force the twists the screw while keeping the driver bit in the slot.  A driver should cost about $15.00 and is used with a hammer.  If you've access to any airtools, you could use a pnuematic impact driver.