Looking for purchase advice on a Catalina 34 MKII

Previous topic - Next topic

racsrv

I know you may be slightly biased here, but I'm trying to decide between purchasing a Catalina 34 mkII and an Ericson 34 (late 80s with aft cabin).  My wife and I sail quite actively with our 2 children (8 and 6).  The vast majority of our sailing is in San Francisco Bay, with occasional ventures out the gate.  We Love the accommodations and appearance of the Catalina.  I love the classic good looks and performance of the Ericson.  My biggest concern about the Catalina, is how well it will hold up if we want to do more coastal/blue water sailing.  My biggest concern about the Ericson is being able to comfortably accommodate friends sailing with us.  We often will sail with another family of 4.  I want to stay in the under 35 foot category.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

horsemel

There have been lots of posts on this site about the pros and cons of the 34.  Just do a search.  Also good posts by people who have done coastal cruising such as from Canada to Mexico and back.  it is a great boat.  We bought our 88 five years ago and have not regretted it.  It is easy to maintain and will take most of what you can give it.  One advantage of getting a 34 is the help that this site provides.  It is invaluable from both a financial as well as informational point of view.  All things being equal and Ericson owners don't have a site like this then I would definitely go with the Catalina!  Also, since you get to sail SF Bay, Stu Jackson will be around to offer good advice.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Bill Asbury

Bob, I'm a former owner of an '87 Ericson 28 and was impressed with the build quality and speed tho never owned or sailed larger Ericsons.  Ralph Naranjo, on the Naval Academy staff, cruised an Ericson in the 40' range around the planet for years.
However, Ericson was a victim of the recession in 1990 and Catalina is still going strong which is important for parts and service.  It also seems likely that a C34 MKII would be more commodious for two couples or several friends than a comparable E34 because the C34 beam is carried further aft and the cockpit is quite large.  We are enjoying our second C34.
Finally, if you decide to acquire a C34 and have issues/questions regarding the electrical, mechanical, plumbing, rigging, etc. you will have access to this incomparable site for info and assistance.
Good luck!

Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

I thought someone would never ask.  

I have a good friend just across the fair way with a 1986 Ericson 34.  He was looking for a Catalina 34 and couldn't find one about three or four years ago.  

The boat has the same features that ours do:  Universal M25 engine, hot water, etc.

The rig is double spreader, which is a good system, just more expensive to replace standing rigging and some say tune.  I'm pretty sure it's masthead.

The woodwork down below is drop dead gorgeous.  More woody than even our older Mark Is, with very little flat formica surfaces, although I love ours for their light contrasted nicely with our wood trim and bulkheads and doors.  The wood color was somewhere between our Mark Is and the newer C34 Mark IIs, quite nice.

The saloon is flipped from ours.  Because of the relatively narrow stern compared to ours, the aft cabin and companionway steps are further forward make the saloon somewhat shorter as I recall.  As a result the settee around the main saloon table is much more scrunched or pinched inboard at the forward end, making it seem smaller.

I think our engine oil access door works better for daily checks.

The BIG difference you'll find is that our V berths are HUGE, second to none, I could go on and on...

Very nice boats, comparable running rigging and gear, less slope to backrest in cockpit, does have a real bridgedeck but I haven't yet seem the need for one where we sail.

No hesitation taking either out into the ocean (but never in winter here - buy and read Kimball Livingston's "Sailing The Bay," a must-read for this body of water, and fun, too!

And even if you buy one you can still join our Association, and please be welcome here on our website, because you simply won't find the kind of technical material you need in one place anywhere else.  I promise to come visit, too - take that anyway you want... 8) :D

To find out more, do a search on "Catalina 34" up top, because that's how the way people who are looking refer to them.  For us it's usually just "...on my boat..."

You should also read the top two topics here: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

almost forgot: the location of the head.  Very important to us who have them in the right place!  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4991.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Wayne

In terms of gracefully handling a crowd, the two stern pulpit 'observation seats' are really great.  They accommodate two people keeping them completely out of the way of operating the boat.  I have had eight on board two or three times, and it was comfortable.  I could handle nine if need be; ten in a pinch.  But I usually hold the line at eight.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

waterdog

Quote from: racsrv on August 10, 2010, 12:58:42 PM
...  My biggest concern about the Catalina, is how well it will hold up if we want to do more coastal/blue water sailing...   Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

I just sailed an '88 from Vancouver to Zihuatanejo and back up into the Sea of Cortez.   It will hold up beautifully in coastal conditions.   It's a stiff boat.  Handles a sea well.  It's balanced.   (Our little X5 autopilot did the driving for those 5000 miles.)   You will have a big smile surfing 20 foot seas.   Cockpit stays dry.   The rig on the old boats is pretty bullet proof (if maintained of course).   Somewhere on this message board I did a report on all the stuff that broke in 5000 miles and it was actually a pretty short list and as I don't recall anything that was a Catalina problem - just engine bits, accessories, and stuff that's found on any boat.   

Bluewater?   Do the math and figure out how long it would take to drain the enourmous cockpit through the little scuppers on the MKI - the MKII is a better choice.   But I want my MKI rig!   Address ports, hatches, and the little hardware on the locker lids.   Find a way to fix companionway boards in place.   It can be done.   But it's not a bluewater boat.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

racsrv

A big mahalo for the excellent information and input!  I've been checking out other boats, but the Catalina 34 keeps reeling me back in.  One thing I often say about Catalina is it's hard to argue with success!  Stu,  I agree with ventures out the gate in winter offering more risk than reward!  I have Kimball's book and it's a great read.  

Bob

lazybone

Either way, once you decide, please stop back and tell us what you decided on and your reasons.

I'm sure we all would love to know.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Bob : I believe that most of the performance figures for the Catalina compared to the Erickson are very  similar. 
I believe that you really need to start looking at access to all of the ancillary systems (water, thru hulls, packing gland/stuffing box, electrical, plumbing, engine, simplicity etc etc etc.  Look at them with the view of how can I fix them at sea - if need be!!  You surely don't want to take half of the boat appart to gain access.

Also as Stu mentioned, look at the creature comforts like the BIG Vberth !  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

racsrv

Thank you one and all for your valuable information  and advice.  I went with the Catalina 34 MKII.  She's a very clean 1997 model named "Shared Float", soon to be "Kailani".  We'll be keeping her at Marina Village, Alameda CA.
The survey was very clean, with the exception of a nick (approx 3/8" long X 1/8" deep) on both blades of the prop. So now I'm trying to decide whether to repair or replace the prop.  It's the standard (I believe) 15 RH 10 with 1 inch? bore.  I may opt for a folding prop if I can find a reliable model that doesn't bust the bank, otherwise I'll replace with like.  Any suggestions?

Thanks Again.

Bob

Ken Juul

Most of us have 3 blade props, if you are going to replace you should also consider them.  Couple boats also have the Kiwi feathering with the composite blades that get great reviews.  Lots of boats also have folding models.  Try a search on "Props" and enjoy the reading!

Welcome to the C34 community!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

wind dancer

If you're looking for a simple, cost-effective replacement, I recommend a Campbell Sailor prop.  They have less drag than a standard 3 blade prop, but all the of the power.  I have been happy with mine.  That said, if money were no object, I'd have looked into a feathering prop.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle