Back in Canada, Eh

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

We're shifting cruising grounds.   The boat entered the United States today from Mexico.  It will be in Bellingham in a few days time.   We are going to rerig and sail the San Juans and Gulf Islands, maybe throw in Desolation Sound, as we reaclimatize to life in the "civilized" world. 

We are selling off some cruising gear which I've posted in the classified forum.  Not likely needed by most 34 owners, but we were glad we had it - liferaft, SSB, drogue, watermaker.  Have a look and drop me a note if you are interested. 

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Michael Shaner

Welcome back Mr. Dolling...your arrival is very punctual, just in time for the Rush tour!  :D
Michael & Alison Shaner

waterdog

Whoa.  Glad I sold the liferaft.  Gotta get me some tickets...
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Welcome home!!! :clap

When does the book come out? :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Stu,   

Hundreds and hundreds of boats cruise down to Mexico every year.   What new could I possibly have to add to the public dialogue on cruising to Mexico?   

Although I have to say it did change my frame of reference.

For example, before Mexico, I just had underwear.   One pair was the same as the next.    You simply pull out a fresh pair of boxer briefs in the morning and put it on.   

The only remarkable thing about underwear was that the little message on the tag which changed from "Change Daily" to "Everyday Fun"   (I think that might have been when I switched to Joe Boxers.)   Now if you think of the context in which you read the message on your underwear tag you begin to wonder what benefits they are promoting.   But I digress.

In Mexico, underwear became much more refined.   Most of the time it was just too damn hot to wear underwear and shorts, so underwear became my on board wardrobe.    Inevitably, I would get a grease stain on a perfectly good pair of underwear while changing the oil or fixing a water pump.    Even Hilda in the laundry in Zihuatanejo didn't so well with grease stains in underwear.   Skid marks yes.  Grease stains no. 

So underwear evolved into work underwear and dress underwear.    You play guitar, wire in a new switch, or eat lunch in work underwear, but if you have guests coming for cocktails, you have to change into your dress underwear.    There's a whole new level of civilization anchored in the Sea of Cortez.

Now these concepts are fading and blurred.   All of my underwear is back in the same pile and all that matters is that it's clean.   At least Tracey says that it matters.   

But this Stu is the level of insight that I can offer.   It's hardly worthy of a book. 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ken Heyman

probably more info than some wanted to know, Steve, but not me. I'm heartened  to hear that Hilda could return skid marked undies to the dress dainties pile.

It sounds like you are experiencing  some culture shock and consequently  you will have to be "de briefed

Welcome back and apologies to anyone I offended,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Hawk

Steve,

I'm just back from Desolation Sound, Octopus Islands, Yuculta Rapids and beyond...the Pacific High has settled in nicely over the last few weeks, sunny, 10 to 30 knots NW'ly.......and not so busy either.

Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

waterdog

Awesome.   We recovered our boat from rogue truckers, splashed it today and put the stick back in down here in Bellingham.   We'll be along shortly.

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat