Wanted M25 exhaust manifold/ coolant reservoir

Previous topic - Next topic

keith

I'm looking for a used exhaust manifold/coolant reservoir that is bolted to the side of my M25 engine.
My exhaust manifold/coolant reservoir has developed an internal leak and is leaking exhaust gases into the coolant reservoir.
Is there someone that may be repowering or have a exhaust manifold for sale?

Keith
SV: Victoria Dos
Keith & Donna
La Paz, Mexico

Ken Juul

Something doesn't sound right.  Coolant is heaver than the exhaust gases and lives above the exhaust manifold.  It should be the other way around.  If the exhaust manifold/reservoir is the problem, water should be getting into the exhaust manifold, not exhaust getting into the coolant.  What makes you think exhaust is getting into the coolant?  Symptoms, etc. 

The only other place the two could mix is if the head gasket was bad.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

John Langford

A friend who had gases leaking into the reservoir on a Volvo diesel ended up having a crack in a cylinder wall which was allowing combustion gases into the coolant cavities. I don't mean to raise anxiety (and don't have the knowledge to do so) but it might be worth having a much closer look at the problem before starting the fix.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

keith

This symptoms I had with the exhaust manifold was; when the engine was running  the exhaust gases would enter the coolant reservoir, pressurizing the reservoir and slowly displacing the coolant by venting the coolant out the rad cap vent. Also if the coolant reservoir was full, rad cap removed while engine running, I would see bubbling in the antifreeze. The manifold was removed from the engine and a leak check carried out confirming a small internal leak.

Keith
Keith & Donna
La Paz, Mexico

Stu Jackson

Mahendra bought his M25 on eBay.  Since we have a somewhat limited audience here, you may want to widen your search.  It could be that an old M25 that may be useless in most other respects could have a good manifold left on it.  Have you tried Kubota tractor dealers in your area?  I found one off the Kubota website, the local dealer locator tab.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Thanks for the update Keith.  Sound troubleshooting technique, glad you caught it before it did further damage.  I wasn't trying to second guess you, but we get questions with all sorts of pedigree.  If you had mentioned the pressure test in the first post I would not have responded the way I did.

There are several forums at http://forums.torresen.com might want to try your luck there for a used one.  They also sell new ones, but a Kubota dealer will be less expensive.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Juul

See the post on the exhaust riser.  I had totally forgotten about the seal at the end.  Could that be the source of your leak?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

prh77

I may be wrong, but I think that exhaust manifold/reservoir is a Universal part and not available from Kubota.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

SeaFever

I agree with Peyton. The Exhaust manifold is a universal part and you will not be able to get it from Kubota. In case of Kubota, while using the engine in the tractors they have a fan mounted on the pulley and a radiator in front of the fan to provide the cooling. Universal marinized the engine and added the Exhaust manifold and the Heat Exchanger etc. for cooling purposes.

The Universal Exhaust Manifold for M25 is part number 301014. I will try and attach the two pages from the M25 parts list for easy reference.

Keith,

I did a quick search and found the manifold at the following places:

http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/index.php?p=details&mfc=Universal&sku=301014
http://www.marinepartssource.com/newdetails.asp?mfg=Universal&pnumber=uJHW301014
http://www.clrmarine.com/216.html?psid=c5c98247eb2633d0

I agree with Stu, unless you want to spend the 'close to $1500' for the new one, your best bet is finding a used one from someone who is parting out a M25. I would just post a 'wanted' ad on a few of the forums and see if someone bites.

You have already removed the manifold and confirmed a small leak so any kind of gasket related issues are out of the picture at this point. It is a simple manifold. Could you take it to a local workshop and have them weld and plug the leak? The pressures are not too high inside the manifold. Probably not greater than 14 psi as that is the rating for the cap. hence a welding repair could hold well, in my opinion. Just some thoughts. In your place I would definitely explore that option. That is in case one is able to pin point the leak of course.

Hope that helps.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

keith

Thanks for all the feed back. The manifold has a internal leak on one of  the exhaust ports and is not repairable. I also have search the web for a new one and was surprised at the cost. I will continue to look for a used one. Hopefully I may find someone that is re-powering their boat and will have a used exhaust manifold for sale at a reasonable cost.
I will not be putting my boat back into the water until October, so I have some time to look.
Thanks
Keith

Keith & Donna
La Paz, Mexico

SeaFever

Keith,

I may be able to help you here. I can find a Barr Marine part for the same at a much better price than the Universal one. I have spoken to my contacts at a local Westerbeke dealer where I have an account and have gotten some information on the same. Please PM me and send me your contact information so I can call you. Let me see if I can help you here.

Cheers.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Ron Hill

Keith : Contact Gary Giberson at Coan River Marina.  He has an M25 that he was working on and I believe has given up.  His cell is (571)431-8325.  He might sell you the coolant reservoir. 
Ron, Apache #788

keith

Thanks Ron:
I spoke to Gary and purchase the exhaust manifold and a few other spare parts from the engine. It's great to be a member of the association and the great help received from the members.
Thanks again
Keith
Keith & Donna
La Paz, Mexico

Ron Hill

Guys : Keith I'm glad you got your part/s.
If there are any other C34 owners that need an M25XP used part - call Gary.  The only part that was origionally bad was the crank shaft.  Now that he sold some parts to Keith, it sounds like he's given up trying to rebuild it.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788