swim ladder

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

When commissioning and waxing my boat I noticed that where the little legs on the swim ladder contact the boat severe dimples have occurred.  These go through the gel coat and look unsightly, anyone had this problem and what did you do?  Is there something that can be glued on the boat to take up the impact?  I could probably figure it out but wanted to see what others have done.  Thanks   Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Do you have chair leg covers on the tips?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Bob : I noted the same problem a number of years ago, even though I frequently change the 1" chair tips on the standoff legs. 
Here's what I did:
I ripped & sanded a piece of "Starboard" to where it was about 1/8" thick.  Then I cut two 1 1/2" discs.  Using 3M4200 on the hull side of the discs I placed them between the boarding ladder stand offs and the hull.  The weight of the empty ladder + letting it sit overnight gave me the pads that stand offs sit against when the ladder is down.  The white starboard even look nice when the ladder is up.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

Thanks Ron, that is exactly what I wanted to hear, yes I do have the tips on the legs, but it is not enough. I'll try and find some starboard, not really sure what it is, but it must be glue-able, if it worked for you.  Thanks  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands