Eyebrow Strips

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I've finally finished refinishing my teak eyebrow strips that I received from Garry. 1) Which way does the splice go? Is it swept forward or aft? 2) Do you cover splice with a strip of fiberglass and epoxy before or after putting it on?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

steve stoneback

Lance,
Mine don't have a splice, but even if they did mine are different on the on the fore and aft end of the strips.  The front is more tapered to a point.  Not sure if that helps you or not.
good luck
sps
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Ron Hill

Lance : My 1988 12 foot eyebrow strips are one piece.  Maybe yours got cut for ease of shipping?
The tapered end goes FWD. 
Mine are refinished and hanging in the attic - all ready for the next owner to install.

I took #4 short oval head screws, #4 finishing washers and a dab of clear caulk on the screw threads to fill the holes.  No maintenance and looks great.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Michael Shaner

The previous owner of our boat did the same thing...Ron's style is contagious. My only problem, they must still be in the PO's attic.

I'd like to have 'em...at least to put in my attic...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Lance Jones

Ron,
Is the #4 the size screw that went in originally? If so, what length was it? Also, why did you remove them? Don't they help divert or slow the rain water from the windows/ports? I have an inquiring mind.... :think
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I removed them because their only function was cosmetic and they were a real "pain in the butt" to strip/sand and refinish - while in place.  I found no difference in rain water with or with out them.

The #4 SS screws were short maybe 1/4" as the screws thru the eyebrow strips were probably 3/4" (because of the thickness of the teak)  I didn't want to make the holes any deeper than necessary.  I had to find a place that specializes in fasteners (Fastenal) to find #4 SS finishing washers, as most places do not stock then that small.

It took a couple of months for other C34 (MK I) owners to notice that I had removed mine!!  Much happier as there is enough other teak to keep looking good rather than screwing around with those narrow strips.  My openion!!

Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks Ron. I think I still want to put mine on. I think it adds a wee bit o' class to an already classy vessel.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622