Packing Gland Hose

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Has anyone replaced the rubber hose coupling connected to the packing gland? Mine is looking pretty nasty and looks like it should be replaced possibly along with the whole packing gland assembly.
The shaft would obviously need to be slid back but I was just wondering what I'm up against.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

No help here.  Looking forward to seeing the information.  I put the exact same chore on my spring haul to do list just yesterday.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

Mike,
There has been some discussion here on shaft removal, older models the shaft comes off with out removing the rudder, newer models not.  Still think that the shaft would slide back far enough.  Also sounds like the time to replace the cutlass bearing if at all worn.

try this link for the parts needed

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/online/ln_menu/product.asp/mode/1/product_id/13458/Ntt/03337/N/0/Dx/mode+matchallpartial/category_name/03337/Nty/1/R/2689/D/03337/load/false/catalog_name/FISCO/Ntx/mode+matchpartial+rel+Inactive/act/A03/Ntk/All

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Albreen

Hi Mike and others,
I replaced the hose this past spring and it was a very easy job - it looking like it was on the verge of cracking, very rusty/dirty looking and needed to be changed for my own sense of comfort. I changed the hose, renewed the coupler and stuffing box hardware, checked the shaft for wear and replaced the stuffing box packing per Ron's and/or Stu's great advice for dripless packing. Sliding the shaft back to the rudder allows plenty of room to make it all happen. I recall the toughest part was getting the bolts loose to free the coupling - a few were very rusty. I took the old hose to the shipyard chandlery and they cut a new piece for me. Check the shaft for scoring - some wear will be there. Mine wasn't significant and I'm sure it's the original shaft. There are great instructions here for aligning the shaft when you're in the water.  Good luck. 

One other note - the harmonic I heard at about 1500-1700 rpms went away after this. A nice added bene..  :D
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

mainesail

What ever you do please use stuffing box hose that is designed for a stuffing box. Many yards, and even some builders, have used cheaper and inappropriate hose. Wet exhaust hose is not stuffing box hose though some yards seem to think it is. Buck Algonquin has a stuffing box hose specifically made for this purpose and it is well worth the money.

Stuffing Box Hose vs. Wet Exhaust Hose:

There is a difference.. :shock:

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ted Pounds

That just goes to show a picture IS worth a thousand words.   :thumb:  Thanks.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Bob K

If you do see some wear on the shaft, consider a slightly longer hose to move the packing gland away from the wear area.  But only if the wear is slight. 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bob has a good idea to move the wear pattern on the shaft.  
Because the M35 engine has that 4th cylinder, the transmission coupling is closer to the packing gland(when compared to the M25XP).  You might consider a shorter piece of hose rather than a longer piece, when moving that wear pattern  A thought.  
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Thanks for all of your ideas.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Hawk

On the age old packing material debate I am trying to locate some GFO up here in Vancouver before ordering on e-marine BUT...I assumed 3/16 would do until I saw on the Gore web site that a 1 inch shaft requres 1/4 inch GFO. They are referring to a Buck Algonquin Packing Box. Perhaps Catalina used a different stuffing box. I will try to measure it but any thoughts.

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

Hawk : Don't pay any attention to the size of the drive shaft when you order GFO packing, as it's the inside size of the packing gland that determines the size of the packing against the drive shaft.  
MOST of the C34s use 3/16" packing.
Ron, Apache #788

John Sheehan

The packing gland on our MK II with the M 35-B engine took the 1/4" packing.

John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Hawk

Well the good news is the hose looks fine.

The bad news is despite 2 days of PB Blaster and 2 of us levering on the pipe and spanner wrenches today we could not get the locking nut and stuffing box to budge. Not sure when or if it's been done before.
We thought of getting a 2 foot piece of pipe for the end of the pipe wrench to really torque it but my shipwright friend said he has seen them break and I had to put the boat back in the water.

Sooo I still have water lubrication (thats good) BUT at 40 to 50 drips per minute (thats not so good).
I think I'll give it another try with PB and use some serious leverage. Otherwise looks like I have to pull the shaft and those coupling bolts don't look particularly cooperative. I know....may as well do your cutlass bearing while you're at it........lets see what page is that on.......

Hawk

Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ken Juul

You might want to try using an hammer and chisel or flat blade screwdriver to seperate the jam and stuffing box nuts.  A good rap on the jam nut usually breaks it loose.  Once loose the nuts are much easier to work back and forth with PB or similiar to clean out the threads.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

And also, once loose, before you put them back together, clean the threads and coat them especially the matching faces with Lanacote.  You'll never have a problem getting them apart again.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."