Bimini Removal

Previous topic - Next topic

mrh90006

Is there a secret to easy removal or do I have to actually loosen hardware screws?

Ron Hill

mrh : Are you talking about the Bimini frame?  If so I'll guess that yours has Allen wrench set screws.  Loosen those screws and it should com apart. 
The portion with regular screw into a combing I'd leave alone. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stewartn

On C1472, the fcty Bimini needs both bows forward of the split back stay to be unscrewed from the rear bow (aft of the backstay(s) ).  They are threaded bolts with recessed heads and have a slot for a flat blade screwdiver (small). Then unscrew the rear bow from the side deck.

BTW, I found that you should take the Bimini off with the middle bow still inserted in the pocket. There is no zipper on this pocket and once off it is easier to remove and/or insert the bow into the pocket.

Rgds,
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

mrh90006

tommyt

Someday we should find out how many iterations of the bimini on a C34 there are. I love biminis that fold back easily, and unfortunately, mine is not one of them. I have seen at least 3 different versions of the standard bimini.

Mine was also interesting in that there were a combination of straight and phillips screws used to mount it. Changed out the straight, but wondered why they would do that.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

wind dancer

No tricks, just remove screws and off mine came.  I like the idea of a bimini, but ours was just too short -- I couldn't stand up beneath it.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Ron Hill

Tom : Most of the iterations have to do with:
1. Is the Bimini frame attached to the stern pulpit or the combing ?
2. How many of the frame tubes (if any) are aft of the back stay? 
Those things make a difference!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

tommyt

Ron, I understand. However, I have seen two versions attached to the stern pulpit as mine is. I was told the other one was also a standard Catalina version. Neither folded away easily.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

As far as folding the bimini back, I was advised not to do that because on the window I have in mine to allow me to see the windex on top of the mast. I guess the windows don't take to being folded. Any opinions on this?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net