Tacktick wireless boat systems

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I just installed the new TackTick system in my boat and i think it is the best. I replaced my signet system. I was able to install the system myself except for the mast climbing. It works very well and having the gauges removable I can sit in my living room and read the windspeed at the boats masthead. Pretty slick.
A month or so ago i was pretty dishearted after lightening had hit the  boat and everything was broken. I had one of those why me? weeks when everything seemed to go wrong. Now a month or so later i have new systems, even better than before because I have had years to think how I would have done things differently on the boat if I could do them over. As it turned out this was my chance and it has so far turned out marvelously well. And to think I almost did not insure the boat this year because i felt it was a lot of money and had never had a claim. Glad I did now.

Stu Jackson

Congratulations on your "comeback," Terry.  What other systems have you employed?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Brockman

Terry -

I thought about changing to TackTick last year but couldn't decide how to handle the three large round holes left by my Signet units. How did you handle this problem? The riggers in my area are real high on the TackTick system.

- Gary -
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Terry Forshier

Gary, I did not have the large round displays. I had 2 square units that mounted on a bracket at the helm.  I just cut out the wireing and took the displays off. The extra signet displays and stuff I have in my signet box from many years of trying to keep  upgraded will soon appear on ebay for resale.
My next project is a new windlass install. There are so many different installation systems posted on the web I am having a time trying to select how I want to do it. I have the double doors on the anchor locker. I have purchased a 1000 watt anchorlift vertical with capsin so will probably need to mount on the deck or cut a hole in one door to allow the capsin to extrude.
Terry

Albreen

Terry: I am very satisfied with the TackTick wind instrument I installed two seasons ago when our '87 C34 was "new to us". It sounds as though you also installed the depth and speed instruments - if so, was it an easy replacement for the new transducers in the existing thru hulls?  I haven't dug this far in my research yet but hope to replace both for compatibility with the wind instrument.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Terry Forshier

Paul, installing the 2 transducers took about 3 hours. I pulled into the yard, they hoisted me up and let dry for about 1/2 hour. Popped out the old signet transducers and replaced them with the tack tick ones for speed, temp and then depth. They let the 5200 dry about an hour and dropped it back in. The whole thing took about 3 hours and never came out of the lift. (around $400) (called a short haul)
I just put on the digital compass this morning.  I now have to go set the wind angle system (calibrate) and the compass with the 360's. They say that there is a way to integrate your gps into the system but I cannot find directions. I have a Raymarine A65 plotter/sounder and hope to tie them together. ??I suppose I will eventually figure it out.
So far I am pleased with the outcome.

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Gary Brockman on October 06, 2009, 04:47:26 PM
Terry -

I thought about changing to TackTick last year but couldn't decide how to handle the three large round holes left by my Signet units. How did you handle this problem? The riggers in my area are real high on the TackTick system.

- Gary -

Gary,
Just cover them up with a nice, teak board and then stick the new units to the board.   :thumb:  A thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Albreen

Wow - 3 hours! Music to my ears, Terry.  :D I envisioned more to do with the transducers so I'm glad to hear how easily it went with your installation. I have all winter to save my pennies to purchase the depth and speed for a spring install prior to launch. Thanks again. 
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Terry Forshier

I would post pictures of my set up here but I cannot access the photo sharing site to find out how. Even when logged on as a member it just says sorry, members only. I tried to use the image icon to pull up the photos but it does not work like I would expect. If someone would send me a copy of the instructions i will try again. Terry

Hawk

Terry,
I take it from your description that the existing transducer through hull hole size is just right for the TackTick transducers. ie. no drilling larger etc.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Lance Jones

Has anyone who uses the wireless Tac Tech ever experienced loss of conectivity? LayLine, here in Atlanta, discontinued carrying it due to that reason. I'm very interested in the system and have been talking to various reps about it. I take what a rep says with a grain of salt (Of course, if the rep is a Gill rep, I trust them completely)
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Terry Forshier

Regarding the thru hull transducers. I think the holes were not the same. they just drilled them out and put the new ones in. I think the paddle wheel was def smaller on the old , but the transducer for depth was an airmar so it may have been the same diameter. Regardless it was a quick job. (I ran the wires from the transducers to the transmitter though, not a big job just took time to move all the stuff in the boat, access the below deck areas and pull the lines through.) Once done it was a snap hooking that part up.
I was told the most important thing in this process is the pre installation set up. You put all the wireless pieces on a table not more that a foot apart from each other. then follow the process to link each one. Once the process starts each part logs in to the master and from then on starts up when you power up. I heard failure to do this correctly will really screw things up.
a few days ago we went out to calibrate all the gear. This too was simple and we followed instruction on setting the compass heading, magnetic variations and speed. All went very smoothly. I motored along and the wife read the instructions and programed the units while sitting in the cockpit with the displays in her hands.

jkar

When I upgraded from Raymarine ST50's, the transducers were the same size and wiring.  No cutting needed and I have an extra set of transducers if the other should fail.

External interference was a problem, the new version of the software/hardware has eliminated that.  I had that same worry as well, even experienced it while racing on my friends boat.  We learned that all of our phones/BB's had to be put away in a seperate area.  New version, no problem.  Only "drop outs" I have had in two years I attribute to the transducer (depth) as we bounced off of 8-10' waves.  It would temporarily go blank but then return and usually only when it was deeper then 200' which I think is pushing the limits anyway.

To hook the GPS in, there are two inputs on the hull transmitter.  Just run your connection to that.  It can even supply power to a Garmin 48/60c/76c.

Add the remote option and you can monitor everything, even from the rail.