Shower Drain Issues

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

OK, I have an 88 Mk 1. I've noticed that there seems to be water entering the shower basin through the shower drain. In tracing the hose, there are no leaks and it does have an anti siphone loop. In addition, we've noticed that when we flush the head, water bubbles up through the shower drain. Is there a one-way valve in the drain hose that may be going bad?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Yes, there's a check valve in that line, or at least there should be.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : I'll guess that you need a new rubber valve in your anti syphon AND a new one-way valve in your shower drain line !

A couple of years ago I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes - on that shower drain line one way valve and added filter (to keep the one-way from getting clogged).

Great stuff/information in those Tech notes.  It's all there for the reading !!
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Sorry to have taken so long to thank you for your responses; but, I've been in a business conference all week so far. Where can I get a replacement one-way valve?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

They are available at West Marine for sure and probably at most marine supply stores.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Lance Jones

Ron,
I went and read the article. Great tech note. Is that a 1/2 inch hose? If so, they don't have that part number in stock; but, they have the same description with a different part number AND it looks different than the one I have (Same as in this thread).

Thanks
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I'm not on the boat, but I believe that the shower drain is probably 5/8" or 3/4" ( I know it's not 1/2" for sure!!).
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

I know you can get them for $11.65 at Englund Marine in Coos Bay.  I just replaced mine this morning.  It works like a charm.  The old one had rusted screws that wouldn't allow disassembly and had poor flow in both directions.    New one works great.  3/4" if I recall.   Cruising is all about fixing your boat in exotic places...

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 14, 2009, 06:54:00 PM
Lance : I'm not on the boat, but I believe that the shower drain is probably 5/8" or 3/4" ( I know it's not 1/2" for sure!!).

The original check valve as I pictured above IS 1/2 inch, connected to a 3/4 inch hose!  Another Catalina super-detail.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Braxton

So pardon my ignorance.  But where does the shower sump drain to?

This has been on my list of things to check out but in my 1+ years of C34 ownership this investigation always seems to get trumped by something more pressing.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Ken Juul

In the standard MK1 set up, the shower drain joins the head sink drain at a tee just above the thru hull.  Some have modified this set up, swapping the head intake and the shower drain hoses, so it may have it's own thru hull under the head sink.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Thanks Stu. Same as mine. Oh well, I'll get on with it and get a gnu one.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ed Shankle

My 89 has the shower drain tied into the head intake; thought that was the standard configuration since it's been discussed before that closing the through hull, opening the head lever, and running the shower pump (and providing water the shower drain) is a method to get fresh water into that hose, replacing the salt water and the odor creating critters. Also, it's good for winterizing; just use anti freeze instead of water.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Ed is correct on the "standard factory" drain setup for the MK I. 
There have been a number of POs that changed the shower drain to the sink drain. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

I stand corrected.  Switching to the fresh water flush was one of my first projects when I got the boat in 2000.  Memory must be getting a little fuzzy.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA