Companionway step replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I was wondering if anyone knew where to get replacement steps for a Mk 1 companion way steps? My upper step unit had a step split in half (long ways). Any ideas?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

RV61

One of my steps on the MK1 split and the previous owner put 3 wood screws thru
the short end and finished by plugging the drill holes with teak. The step very sturdy but squeaks a little. another option would be call Catalina and see if they can make new ones. If you call let us know if they can make.
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Lance,
You might try a local furnature repair shop.
Nothing to lose.
Maybe they'll surprise you.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

hump180

I had a louver door made for the nav table in my boat. It was missing when I bought it and a shop in Florida made it for me with dimensions over the phone. The shop shipped it to me amd it was a perfect fit. I am certain they could build some stairs as they do all custom boat work with wood and are very good. Perhaps if you shipped it to them they could replicate the piece. Let me know if you want to talk to them and I will find the #.
Bill
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Ken Juul

Glueing/screwing a doubler (sometimes called a scab) under the step is probably easiest solution.  As only the leading edge will be seen it doesn't need to be teak, just stained a matching color.  If the screws are inserted from the bottom, plugs aren't required.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Lance : The upper step is easy and like Ken said you can scab on a doublet underneath.  Take a piece of aluminum or stainless and used that screwed in from underneath and only you will know.
OR You could also get some 4/6 inch screws and go in from the front with a extra ling drill to make the hole.  Then plug the hole with a teak plug.  A few thoughts. 
Ron, Apache #788