sailing the headsail in higher winds

Previous topic - Next topic

hump180

I have a question regarding higher wind sailing, mainly between 20 and 30 knts of wind. Is it Ok to run the headsail alone unreefed (150%) in these type of winds or do I risk damage to the rig. I know most of the info I read says to reef the sails over 18 and I am wondering if some of the more experienced sailors and C34 guys could lend their opinion to flying a full headsail as an option to a reefed main and headsail. I know some of the pitfalls of being unbalanced at the helm but am mostly concerned with breaking the rig.
Bill
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

waterdog

I wouldn't worry about the rig.   You will know when it's time to furl some.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

RV61

Bill.
As long as your rigging is in good shape it will take the wind. I would be more concerned about an older Sail holding up. Over the years of sailing I have blown out a couple older headsails in heavy wind 20 knots plus and wondered if I had reefed them some if they would of held up. 
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

Try it you'll like it.  We do it all the time!  :D  Really...the boat balances just fine, and that urban myth about damaging the rig keeps coming up year after year.  I can't understand why putting up half the sail area would lead people to think it would damage the rig: less sail, less stress.  The only work left on our boat now is the mainsail cover and sailing with just the jib makes that issue disappear.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Asbury

The PO of my boat said Frank Butler told him never to sail with jib alone.  Still haven't figured out why the PO would say a thing like that, because I ignored his comment and did it anyway, no problem.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Braxton

I dislike sailing with the head sail alone for other safety reasons.   With the main and jib up you should have just a touch of weather helm that will cause the boat to round up into the wind if the helm is suddenly unattended.   If balanced well a boat sailing with just the head sail up can sail off forever leaving you behind if you unexpectedly fall overboard.   

There are enough caveats and assumptions in my reasoning that sometimes I think I'm just being irrational.   By the same reasoning I should never be using the auto pilot and I certainly do use it from time to time.   
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Stu Jackson

Braxton, the jib on a masthead rig like ours provides more than enough weather helm because the jib is the driving force of the rig.  When sailing with just the jib, with enough air to make the boat go, there is more than enough weather helm.  It starts out with lee helm, but if you're sailing in enough wind to just use one sail, it'll get there.  In some cases the helm is not as far over as would be the case with both sails up, but it's there.   And you can sail with just the main, too, if you'd like, but it's far slower and you can't point as high.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

hump180

I am glad to hear that flying headsail alone seems to be an accepted practice. We were out in 22-27kts recently and making decent time with headsail alone, but I am still relatively new to sailing and have reservations about some things due to my inexperience. I am glad for the respones in this thread from the more experiences sailors and owners our boats.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Albreen

I believe the PO may have been referring to mast pumping when sailing in high winds with 150% alone. The ocillation of the mast fore and aft places a larger strain on the rigging creating the potential for failure. It is usually a better strategy to sail with both headsail and main up but reefed appropriately to create balanced pressures on the rigging. But, of course, having sailed with genoa alone downwind for hours a few weeks ago in 20-25 knot winds, I didn't sense any danger at hand!  :D
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Ken Heyman

Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Bill : I've done that for 21 years and have never had damage to the rig.  You really need some coordinated team effort if you try jibing, but we do it all the time. 
I'd also suggest a back stay adjuster, to keep the mast in column while sailing with the head sail alone. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

There was an article about that in Practical Sailor a few years ago.  Basically they said on boats like the C34 (big, beefy, stiff mast and double lower shrouds) sailing with genoa alone is not a problem.   The danger would come from "mast pumping" which is not an issue on rigs like the C34.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447