fin keel for ICW and Bahamas?

Previous topic - Next topic

craigros610

Looking for advice before I buy a fin keel C34 1999 vintage.  The admiral and I currently sail the Chesapeake in our C30, and plan to move up to a C34 to run down the ICW to FL, and cross the Stream to the Bahamas.  The C34 we are condisering has the fin keel.  Any thoughts on the fin keel with 5'7" draft for this?  I have not journeyed down the ICW before.... is the fin keel just too much draft with all the shoaling and lack of dredging?  And what about the fin keel for the Bahamas?  Will it be very restricting in the Abacos, for example.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Craig

BillG

i'll start out by saying that I have a wing keel and there are obvious advantages to the shallow draft.  However, I've had the opportunity to go to the
Abacos 3 times as well as up the ICW in a Tashiba 40, which draws 6 feet and have had no problems.  There are places in the Abacos where you might have to time you arrival and departures based on the tides.  Additionally as you head south towards Treasure Cay it really shoals up and I think that only Cats can make it across without going outside of Whale Cay. I wouldn't let a fin keep you from buying a great boat.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Craig, Randy Theis, aka "captran", has been there.  I respectfully suggest you do a search on "Bahamas" and read some of his material, if you haven't dome so already.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Craig : Many Many C34/C36 fin keels have made that trip.  You just have to watch the NoticeToMariners.  With the budget crunch there may be some areas that didn't get, but need dredging!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Ron,

I was hoping that some of the "stimulus funds" would find there way there. I guess its a question of what "ditch" they are deployed.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stephen Butler

Our C34 fin keel has been in Florida waters since we purchased her.  We have pretty much "done" the keys, and the "ditch" and have run out of water only on two occasions....both times dodging a commercial craft that "took" the right-of-way.  And yes, we have often been in single digit numbers on the depth meter, and celebrated when a double digit popped up.  However, if one is careful, uses the tide tables, and calls the local marinas for the latest conditions, I would see no problems for you.  As for Bahama, we are going over next year, and again, it is a matter of just checking with the locals.  Frankly, while I know the wing keels are excellent performers, we like having that extra lead under us, particularly when going to weather...just a personal thing.  Hope this is of help in making your decision.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

iron horse

Hi Craig.. I just came back north Fla to Annapolis in March. Georgia is the only place I grounded,albeit with a wing keel. I did this at low tide tho. I had no problems in the Bahamas-Abacos or Exumas and I have the new rudder that hangs down much lower than the keel so I consider I have 5 feet under me. I wouldn't sweat any part of the trip ,if worried bump out around Georgia tho if you are a birder its a shame to miss.
Get used to watching 12 feet of water go by unendingly under you on the banks. Its a great trip.