GPS Raymarine A65

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I am looking for a new GPS and see that several places are selling these Raymarine A 65 units for $262.00 This is a BIG discount. I also checked reviews and they seemed good. (the Depth module though is another $350) but I am just looking for a chartplotter. Anyone have one of these or know of any reason not to buy one? Terry

Rick Johnson

I see its being discounted, but I have not found a price that low.  Can you post where you found that price?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ken Juul

specs look pretty close to the C series, just not as expandable ie no radar capability.  Screen size is 6.5".  Thats pretty small, will it be big enough to be usable?  I'd be constantly taking my glasses of and on when using anything that size.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

horsemel

Sounds like a good deal to me.  I would be interested in anybody's opinion of this model as well since we have been thinking about replacing our black and white chartplotter.  It is impossible to read in bright sun, especially with my polarized sunglasses on.  The color ones are supposed to be readable in bright light.  Is this true of all or just some?  You sure can't on the store displays.  Ours currently has the small screen and is not an issue, just zoom in on the details if you need bigger stuff to see.  The other beef we have with our current chartplotter is that it is not user friendly for data entry.  How is that on the raymarine discussed here.
Mark Mueller
Blue Moon #815
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Bob Kuba

Terry,

Since you're in the market for an upgrade, you should consider the ability to uplink to XM Radio to receive live weather (radar) updates directly to the chartplotter.

I use Wx Worx on my boat and it has saved me, and others, from many questionable departures. Often it's hard to get reliable Wx down at the harbor, especially if you're out on a cruise with limited resources available.

www.wxworx.com/marine

I use a pc on the nav table for the display, as my chartplotter is in need of an upgrade as well. It would be a nice feature to have it displayed directly on the chartplotter where it would be readily available. It's a great service and gives your crew (the admiral in my case) some peace of mind, especially when heading 40 or 50 miles offshore. I wouldn't cruise without it.

Bob
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Stu Jackson

Terry, the literature for the unit says: "The A65 GPS-Chartplotter is a compact, yet powerful navigation system that combines simplicity with advanced chartplotting and optional HD Digital fishfinder technology. A Direct sunlight viewable display and rugged submersible construction make the A65 the perfect fit for center consoles and open cockpits.

Best of all, the A65 GPS-Chartplotter comes ready-to-navigate with the included Navionics Silver charts and RS12 GPS sensor. The A65 is also HD Digital fishfinder ready. Simply add the optional DSM25 Digital Sounder Module and a transducer to it to get high performance Fishfinder on your A65.

Each A65 is supplied with Navionics Silver cartography, covering all
continental US coastal areas, Great Lakes and the Bahamas on a single
pre-programmed cartridge that is ready to use right out of the box. Simply place
the high capacity Navionics Silver CompactFlash card in the A65 and detailed
marine charts are at your fingertips. Seamless chart technology ensures a
clutter free, yet detailed chart presentation with tides, currents, shaded depth
contours, navigation aids, spot soundings and more.
"

That sounds pretty good.  One of the things I've found with the "comes ready-to-navigate" is the quality of the charts 'cuz these may simply be "overview" charts and may lack the detail that chip charts and, for instance, the fully preloaded Garmin unit charts, provide.  I suggest you check the detail of the charts to confirm they have all of the levels of detail that you need and, perhaps, expect, because that's a pretty large area for installed charting to cover for that price with that wide an area.  I am not personally familiar with the Navionics charting material. The difference between the Navionics Silver and Gold may be the difference, just don't know, would recommend you check it out first, I would if it was my boat.

It's also got a pretty small screen-to-box ration - a lot of box with a relatively small screen because of all the buttons and dials. Also not clear on whether or not it has an internal antenna from the marineboats link info, maybe the other one or the Raymarine website says it better..   Still, not bad for the price.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mtullier

Terry,

Have you been able to order the Raymarine GPS on line at the sale price?  I have tried to order with no luck.
Mike
Mike

Gary Brockman

Both of the listed sites no longer have the A65's in stock. The cheapest sites I have been able to find the A65 in stock at have it in the $380-400 area.

- Gary -
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Terry Forshier

I bought one of these on Ebay and used it last week on a short trip here in SW Fl. There is at least one pretty big problem with it. The GPS locations are off, way off. In my canal at rest it shows the boat on the land and also shows me on land as i run down the canal. So it is off by say 60 feet or more. When i wrote to Raymarine for help they claim this is within thier tolerances of acceptability and it is caused because their units sensor no longer used 2 of the 12 sartellites that were replaced and for a small $150.00 more they will ship a new sensor or GPS antenna. My next door neighbor also has one of the bigger 12 inch units that has radar, weather, depth etc etc a $10,000 unit a few years ago. His also shows the location irregularities.

Pretty crummy since the Garmon little handheld is way more accurate than this one.
True it gives a great color chart and scrolls well. Also the contour colors are so dark in the shallow areas that one cannot really read them in direct sunlight. I guess this was their A series and now after several years they have worked out the bugs in them. My advice now is to pass this up and look for a good Garmon or other brand.
Terry