prop shaft thread size?

Previous topic - Next topic

hump180

When I removed my prop, the key was stuck and knocked down some threads on the shaft. Does anyone happen know what size die I could use to rethread the stripped threads? Has anyone had this problem in the past?
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Jim Hardesty

On my 2001 its 3/4-10.  I think that thats common for a 1" shaft.  And yes I had problems when I changed props.  I like stainless steel for shaft.  I expect that I will have to change at some time.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jim's answer is correct.  If you need a new key, take the old one to almost any hardware store and they'll match it with a new key.   
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Denest

Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

The rule of thumb is to use a stainless cotter pin with a stainless shaft and a bronze pin with a bronze shaft. 
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

I didn't think about the dissimilar metals when I changed my prop.  The cotter pin was stainless and when I pulled the original prop the shaft was badly corroded.  It just broke and fell off aft of the cotter pin hole.  No real harm, I had to cut the shaft to install my maxprop.  I don't worry to much about corrosion due to using the boat only in fresh water, and thought that the problem was due to grounding problems at the marina. 
After my experience, stainless pins in stainless shafts, bronze pins in bronze shafts.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Mike Denest

Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 12, 2009, 07:02:47 AMI don't worry to much about corrosion due to using the boat only in fresh water, and thought that the problem was due to grounding problems at the marina. 

Water corrodes.

Saltwater corrodes absolutely.

You should worry about corrosion wherever there is water.

Dissimilar metals create corrosion because of their difference on the periodic table.

Bad marina wiring and bad neighbor's boat wiring (which you'll never know about) creates corrosion due to galvanic activity.

The two of them together are simply not pretty.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Denest

Prop attach hardware is available from McMaster-Carr which will fit the stainless steel prop shaft.  The hardware is zinc coated stainless steel.
3/4 - 10 slotted nut 95030A260
3/4 - 10 flat nut 93839A837
key 1/4" sq. 24" length (cut to length needed) 89075K522

Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD