Power Post Plus

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

I have multiple negative leads and would like to use one of these on the Negative ground as part of my starting battery installation.  I'm installing golf cart batteries and this looks like it would help on the negative side, as well as the positive.  This Power Post Plus from WM looks like it's mainly for positive connections, hence the red boot, but couldn't it be used for making the negative connections too.

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Michael Algase

Roc,

No reason not to.  I'd suggest you cover the red boot either with black heat shrink, or black electrical tape.  It is only an issue for the next owner, as you will always know what is what.  Black wires with Red ends would be confusing, but all they need to do is trace the wires to the negative terminals, and they'd get it.  Covering the red with black is just a purist approach to avoid any potential confusion.

Michael
Michael Algase

Tranquilizer
'86 # 91, SR, FK

Stu Jackson

Yes, Roc, not a problem.  Forget the color stuff, just label it (always a good idea on the ends of every wire), and use the red cover.  The black wire should be a giveaway! :D  Besides, red's the only cover color they make!

Here's a hint:  In the "olden daze" they used 3/8 posts for (+) and 5/16 for (-) on batteries.  That becomes a real chore nowadays, since they started making batteries with two 3/8 posts.  I made what I consider a mistake in 1998 in buying the 3/8 for (+) and 5/16 for (-).  Depending on what sizes of posts and battery posts you have on your boat, I'd go for all 3/8 posts for both, since it's easier to stock 3/8 lugs on the boat than have to have two sizes, just 'cuz they thought people were too stupid to know the difference between (+) and (-).  There's also no problem of having one end 5/16 at a battery and the other 3/8.  Just a little bit more of my heresy! :D

The Power Post Plus are great things, I use them for my PDP and NDP with the bilge pump, stereo, the sink drain booster pump and something else on the PDP and collect the small grounds on the NDP.  You chose wisely.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Thanks guys...just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing some ABYC no, no.   :D
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Roc : Why buy a terminal post when you can make one!??!

I took a 1 1/2" long, 5/16" stainless bolt and made one.  Take a piece of oak (3" L x 1"w x 3/4" thick), drilled a 1/2" recess about 1/4" deep with a Forster wood bit.  Then drilled a 5/16" hole thru all the way.  Take the 5/16" bolt and with the bolt going thru set it on top of a slightly open vice and hit it with a hammer until the bolt head was flush with the bottom of the oak piece.  Removed the bolt (marking it so it would go back in the same place the same way), mixed up some JB weld epoxy and put it on the inside of the bolt head and put it back in the piece of oak.  Coat with varnish, and drill a 1/8" hole in either end (about 1" from each end) for mounting.  When cured/dry add a washer and nut - WaLa you have a terminal post all for the cost of a stainless bolt!!
A thought.   
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

As the Admiral is fond of saying, Ron, "ya just don't get it, skipper!!!" The Power Post PLUS is not a part of it doing it your way.  Those extra little connections are worth their weight in gold when ya need 'em and if you start using these little handy devices, you'll find they're very good.  Not everyone is so handy - like me!   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."