Mysterious Pettit Zinc Barnacle Barrier/Transducer paint

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

In reviewing my supplies for my upcoming commissioning, I noticed that I have a can of Pettit Transducer Paint, and a can of Zinc Barnacle Barrier Coat.  Same product code number on the cans (1792 I think it was).  I think this is the same stuff, only under a different name.  Anybody notice that?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mike Denest

It's the same stuff except that the transducer paint is safe for plastics.  I coated my propshaft and prop with it, we'll see how it works.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Roc

If one is 'safe for plastics' and the other is not, then why would they use the same product number?  I think it is literally the same product.

Michael Shaner

Michael & Alison Shaner

Roc

I know what you are saying and just came up from my basement and both cans I have show 1793.  The only idea I can come up with is I know the barnacle barrier coat can I have is much older than the transducer paint I have.  So somewhere down the line, they came out with 'transducer' paint and split the product codes. 

Ron Hill

Roc : If you really want to solve the "mystery"; pick up the telephone and call Pettit (800)221-4466 and ask them the question.  Then let us know their answer. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron has previously, repeatedly and correctly suggested that we call the manufacturer of the products rather than "relying on internet gossip" [my word, not his!] to get the answer to this kind of question.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & D.G. : Here's the saying that I've "coined" which is well worth repeating  ---

"If you talk to the manufacture, you are getting it from the Horses mouth;
If you get information from the internet/message board comments, you don't know which end of the Horse is speaking" !?!

A thought  :D
Ron, Apache #788