Ice Maker

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Has anyone ever installed a ice maker on the boat, I bought one for the house from home depot, will fit under the nav station, puts out ice every 6 minutes.  It takes 145 watts according to the info data tag. would like to use it from the inverter when out there.  Anybody got a better Idea to make ice? 
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Bob, it seems that it would depend on how big a party you normally throw!  If you NEED an icemaker, then may I be the first to volunteer to raft up right next to you!?! :D  Others have placed replacement fridges under the nav station - check out the posts on the new wiki.

We make ice in our Adler Barbour evaporator section - takes overnight to make cubes.  We have one vertical ice cube tray.  The fridge originally came with two, but the plastic rotted away and then the welded seams on the aluminum trays started to go.  Our friend Dave bought us a new one as a boat gift at REI for considerably less than marine store or A/B prices.  Almost time for a new one: the plastic's OK, but the seams are going - a little MarineTex might fix it for awhile.  We usually bring a zip lock bag of ice cubes for the first night and the fridge takes care of it for days thereafter.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bobg

Stu, that's primarily what I do too, however, in my marina we don't have close access to ice, even up in Lake Superior it can get consistent 90 degrees.  I got the ice maker as a gift, nice small unit that puts out about 5 lb bag an hour, 12 cubes every 7 minutes.  I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but in the marina one bag an hour adds up fast.  I guess I was thinking it would be nice for when you can't buy ice.  and in 7 minutes you would have enough for a couple drinks.  Cost at home depot about 150 bucks.

I helped move a boat from Connecticut to virgin islands a few years ago, the guy had a on board ice making machine that really cranked out the cubes.  Like a dummy I didn't check it out like I should  have.  But I always remember that trip when I run out of Ice on my boat.  Thanks for your input.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands