Logo patch on sail cover

Previous topic - Next topic

c34no1471

I have decided to replace the logo patch on my sail cover (much cheaper than replacing the sail cover itself, which is in good shape).  I asked Catalina parts if they stock them, and they said they did, and sent me two, at a cost of $34.35 (very reasonable).  The shipping list that came with the order describes them as "mainsail cvr insignia set." 

The pieces shipped to me are diamond shaped.  I removed a (worn) triangular logo patch from my sail cover.  I asked Catalina parts if they had shipped me the wrong part--I said it appears to be the patch on my mainsail itself. They said no, the sail cover patch is diamond shaped. I haven't checked my mainsail yet, but I think it had the diamond shaped patch.  I notice that the C34 photos I've seen show the diamond shape on the mainsail. 

I don't want to get into a battle with Catalina parts--they have been extremely helpful in the ten years since I bought the boat new.

Can any of you folks clear this up for me? 

Thanks for your input on this rather trivial matter.

George Alberts
Breezing Up
Hull # 1471

George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

I just did a search on "logo" and didn't find anything specific to your question.  However, there are two other sources you may want to consider:

www.catalinaowners.com have both a website and a chandlery that supports the website

www.catalinadirect.com a Sacramento, CA, based company that started out with C22 parts and have grown to cover other resources for other size Catalinas.

What you're "arguing" about is the shape, and if that's all CY has available, then I suggest trying other sources or using what you have - it may not be the correct shape, but carries the "message."  Personally, I'm just fien with a clean sailcover with nothing on it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roger Blake

I replaced the Catalina logos on my sail cover last year...the originals, and replacements from Catalina, were diamond shaped.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Stu Jackson

George,

This (YOUR C34) website has a complete parts list, albeit somewhat old.

Go to C34 Home, at the top right of this MB.  Use the left hand side index to Parts List.

You'll find this:  http://www.c34.org/images/parts-page-5.gif

There's a part # for the diamond shaped logo you're looking for:  "Mainsail cover insignia".  :D

How much does the shape mean to you?

Wish you the best in finding something that works for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

George : I've seen a few of the triangular C34 logos, but the most frequently seen logo is the same diamond shaped logo as on your mainsail.  Maybe your Catalina dealer got it from somewhere after the boat was delivered?   
My original mainsail cover had the diamond logo(1988) and the 12/15 year later replacement logo was also a diamond shape.
Ron, Apache #788

c34no1471

Thanks to everyone for their input.  I promise I'll have a more substantive issue next time!

I think Ron Hill is right--the dealer probably had one of the (old?) triangular logos around and put it on the sail cover.

Stu, I like the clean look also.  But I want to proudly advertise that I have one of the best out-of-production production boats around....

Happy Sailing!

George Alberts,
Breezing Up
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

Roland Gendreau

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted new information to be available to anyone who finds this post.
18 years ago, I replaced the C34 logo on my mainsail cover.  The person who sold me the logo patch is no longer in business.   I tried Catalina and Catalina Direct and neither could provide them.

So I had a local sign company make them up for me.  They are the same size as the original diamond shaped logo so sewing them on will be easy.  If anyone is looking for them, contact Baker Sign Works https://www.bakersignworks.com/index.html in Fall River MA. 

Roland

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Gary Brockman

I think you can get these sail logos from nearly any sailmaker.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ron Hill

George : Like I said back in 2009 - I got my replacement C34 logo from Catalina parts!!  I believe they still have the Diamond shape as I sewed it right over the faded diamond one!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788