Adler Barbour Issue

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I removed the 15a fuse from my AB. It was blown. I also found a loose wire. My problem is that I can't see or get back there to figure out where it goes. Is there any other way to get back there?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I just wrote a long reply that went somewhere into cyber space when I hit post.  This is a frequent happening on this message board !!!!!!!
I'll reanswer again when I get time !!!!
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 22, 2009, 06:25:56 PM
Lance : I just wrote a long reply that went somewhere into cyber space when I hit post.  This is a frequent happening on this message board !!!!!!!

Ron- a hint: Before you hit "post," hit <control A> to highlight all of your text, then hit <control C> to copy that text to your PC's clipboard.  That way if you lose your essay in the posting process, you can start a new reply and just paste your words in the new posting.  It's a little bit of insurance.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Lance : I assume that "there" is in the aft lazeratte on the starboard hull - if your AB compressor was installed at the factory. 
As I previously mentioned that you're going to have to stand on your head to get down there.  If you move the propane box and the plywood platform over the steering quadrant to port, it'll get you a little more space to work in. 
I used an fingernail emory board to clean the female contacts for the fuse.  You should tin the wire before you reconnect it.  Make sure you shine up the wire so solder will stick.
If you really want to do an up grade, remove the aft cabin panels and the aft water tank.  Then you can rewire with #10 marine grade wire and you'll be able to look at what you're working on with out standing on your head
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ron,
How difficult is it to remove the water tank and panels? Also, when you say move the Propane tank, do you mean permanently?

Thanks!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : All you do is remove the screws from the port side panel, and pull it off.  That panel overlaps the aft panel so it has to be removed first.  Same thing with the aft panel and the small "dog house" that covers the bottom of the steering quadrant. 

Word of CAUTION : the screws in the overhead portion of that "dog house" are longer than the vertical screws that secure it to the aft panel.  Use a wrong LONG screw to remount the vertical portion of the dog house cover and you'll probably put a hole in your aft water tank !!!!!!! 

After the aft water tank is exposed you have to disconnect the water fill and vent from the aft lazerette.  The water drain on the bottom of the tank will be readily accessible to detach the hose, but you will probably have to cut a small notch in the fiberglass bottom wall so you can slide the tank out with the drain elbow attached (because the water drain elbow hangs down about 1 inch)  The tank should side right out. 
Unsaid is that you should drain the aft tank first or you have 48 gallons of water to mop up!!

With the aft tank exposed you can do all kinds of goodies - inspect the steering cables, change out the steering idler bronze pins and change them to stainless, rewire the AB with marine grade tinned wire and size it up to #8.  Look at your fuel tank/sender etc. and see if all is OK.  If you have propane, the hoses are 20+ years old!! and now would be the time to change then out.  Look at the scupper hoses and see if they need to be replaced? 

In general you need to inspect items that would be hard to get to.  You might even think about changing the AB cooling fan to a larger fan, or even build a shroud around the fan for better cooling after you clean the cooling fins of the 20+ years of dust/dirt on them. 

Enough, or you'll pass a birthday or two if you want me to keep you back in there!!  Good luck 
Ron, Apache #788