Boat Pix

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

In September we were sailing on Lake Erie and were buzzed by a helicopter with a sign that said "Boat Pix".  I did not give it much thought until I received a letter Monday saying that we could purchase pictures of our boat taken from the helicopter.  All we have to do is tell them to send the the pictures, keep and pay for what we like and return the rest.  Does anybody have any experience with BoatPix.com?  They don't say how much the pictures are, so I can't really say what I am getting for the effort.  Their website says they have been in business for 25 years.
Mark Mueller
Blue Moon #815
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ted Pounds

I don't know if it's the same company, but we had the same thing at a race (The Queen's Cup) a few years back.  In that case the proofs were available online.  I'm surprised that wasn't the case with you.  Online is the easiest and cheapest way to go.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

waterdog

Yep.  I have a shot of me at the helm surfing at 14 knots in a 42 Beneteau in the Mac.  

The company is credible and they take some nice pictures.  I thought the picture was grainy and overpriced -  I think it was almost $100 - but I was crew not an owner.

How many aerial shots of your boat do you have?  

It's definitely worth having a look at what they took.  If you like it, you buy it.  If you don't like it's only a small hassle.   Check to see if you can review it on the web - they have that for the major races...

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Terry Forshier

I had the same thing happen here in SW Florida. Last week I got the letter stating they had photographed my boat and if I would send my credit card number they would send me the photos and I could keep the ones i wanted and return the rest. I went on line and asked the local sailing club about this. Word is that this is standard operating for them. (boat pix) however the photos were pricey. I was told the lest expensive one was $250.00 and that you have to return the unwanted photos by an insured carrier within a week. Some people even stated they had jad some problems after because the return was delayed. One person also said the "package of photos was $1000) and decided to return all them. I decided to pass. If I could have seen the photos on line and liked them I might have ordered even at $250 but diod not want the hassle of receiving and returning.  They have a web site but I could not find how to access my photos. JUst my 2 cents.. Terry

Michael Shaner

Same thing happened to us a couple years ago having a delightful day on the Chesapeake...if memory serves, we were able to look the proofs up online and order what we wanted. Kinda pricey...be careful...if the sails are nicely trimmed, you're showing some bottom paint and The Admiral is looking good in her bikini...she will want to buy them ALL :cry4` 
Michael & Alison Shaner

Hawk

Last summer in the BVI "Yachtshots BVI" buzzed by in a dingy as we sailed out of Virgin Gorda in a 17 knot SE trade wind on our chartered Beneteau 40. They said to look up their web site on returning home, which we did.

Turns out they took 21 shots from a large digital camera, all of which were very nice from different perspectives.
I chose 8 photos online and they burned a CD which they mailed together with an authorization letter so my print company would process them. I had 2 - 12 x 16s done and framed...........can't get those type of shots when you're driving. (:
Hopefully Boat Pix will do the same.
Tom

Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

RV61

Received Photo from Boat Pixs from the Admiral for a Xmas gift this year and it was a great suprise. Was sailing from Catawba Island to Vermilion on Lake Erie 4th of July weekend sails full healed over some and cutting thru a nice wave. You can see Linda on the high side and me hanging at the wheel. The Picture is aw-some. They sent several pictures on-line with little helicopters dotted around thus you would not want to print. She picked one they sent it with some photo shop work and cropping. Size is around 12x18? I am not sure what she did pay for it but she said is was less than $300.00 including shipping then she had it framed locally and it proudly hangs in the home office. Just looking at it will get me thru the cold winter.
She said they have sent her more stuff to buy like cards, postcards etc but I have not looked into it yet.
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Momentum M

Guys that did get pictures...it would be nice if you could post it...so that we can dribble a bit  :D
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Hawk

Stu,

Is there an easy way to post a picture? I recall you or someone had described it a while back.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hawk on January 07, 2009, 11:46:28 AM
Stu,

Is there an easy way to post a picture? I recall you or someone had described it a while back.

Sure thing, Hawk, a search on "photo" came up with this as the #1 hit: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html.  Se Reply #2.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hawk

Thanks Stu. Will give it a go. Hopefully I won't have to bring in my IT expert..........

Ken Juul

Don't forget we have the flickr photo site open to all members on the home page http://flickr.com/photos/c34ia.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

horsemel

I talked to the Boat Pix people today and they are going to e-mail the pictures for us to look at.  I will let you know how it goes.
Mark Mueller
Blue Moon #815
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

RV61

If I followed the direction right here are two of the sample pics boat PIX sent.

I try will put up the price list on another post.
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

RV61

Here is the price list from Boat PIX.com
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie