Honda EU1000 & Trucharge 40

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

Another practical question. 

I know the math works and the specs from the manufacturers line up, but I want to know real world.  The Honda 1000W unit with the 40A Xantrex charger. 

Does it trip out with a deeply discharged bank when you start the generator and turn on the charger?

I know it works fine with the 20A charger and that I will never be able to heat my water.  I am OK with all these things.   

I just recovered from one case of generator disappointment and I don't want to have a relapse.

Thanks!
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Steve : I can't answer you, but I'll bet that Xantrex can tell you if their 40A will draw more than 1000W.  I believe that you are better off getting that answer from the "horses mouth" (manufacturer) rather than from the message board!!
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

I have the answer from the horse.  I want to know if the horse is telling the truth :D

The only thing that will really make my confidence level high is an owner who says, "yep - got an EU1000 and TC40 and never had a problem."  Then I know I'm good to go.
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Terry Forshier

This will probably not really answer your question but I have the Honda 2000 ei and it runs my 40 amp charger and my Flagship 16000 btu AC while at anchor. In SW Florida that is a big plus. Terry

Ron Hill

Steve : I'm not too sure which you don't have - the TC40 or the Honda 1000 ? 
If the word from Xantrex isn't good enough here's what I'd recommend.  With your "Missouri Attitude", I'd borrow the one you don't have and conduct your own test !!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Steve, I have a TC40 and I think my marina manger has a EU1000.  I'll check with him tomorrow and see if I can give it a test. 

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Rick : Just make sure that your batteries are discharged - so you have a valid test.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Thanks guys.  I have the TC40 and want to buy the Honda. 

John Langford did the legwork with Xantrex.  From his post:

"I posed this question to Xantrex Technical Support:
Can you please tell me the maximum input AC wattage that the Truecharge 20+ and 40+ battery chargers would require?  I occasionally want to use a Honda 1000 watt AC generator to power the charger and want to be sure that it that the model I buy does not require more than the generator will deliver.

And I got this reply:
The specifications you asked for are as follows:

TC20+  414W at 120V
TC40+  765W at 120V

The total input power required will be higher if the input voltage is lower than 120VAC.  Inversely, if the input voltage is higher than 120VAC, the total power required will be lower.  The maximum power the charger will require is at 90VAC (the lowest voltage the charger will accept) and is as follows:

TC20+  585W
TC40+  1080W"

The Honda is spec'd for a rated output of 900W and a max output of 1000W @ 120V (8.3A).  The TC40 should be drawing a max of 6.4A when it is at full output. 

So if Honda meets their spec (no big voltage sag under load) and Xantrex does what they say, there won't be any issue.   The only data point I have with generators is my green mistake, otherwise documented, that proved to me that generator manufacturers are liars.   I strongly suspect that the Honda will do everything they say they can, but it would be great to know for sure!   

Anybody ever measure output voltage on an EU1000 under heavy load?

Alternatively, is there any way to tip the EU2000 on its side for a moment and slide it into an upright position under the coaming on a MKI?   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ken Juul

If you can get it all the way outboard there might be room in the cockpit locker under the port seat.   I have never tried.  My EU2000 usually has fuel in it, would not want any fumes that escape to vent to the bilge.  Sailing it sits athwartship just forward of the pedestal.  At the dock or at anchor it is moved out of the way to the cabin top or foredeck.  With the Mk 1, I would think there is enough room in the lazarette for it to fit.  But again you have the fume issue.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Steve : If you want to see if you and get the 2000 into the port side lazerette, here's an idea.  Make yourself a cardboard box the same size of a Honda 2000 and try it.  Then move that "box" around the boat an see what the other storage looks like.
BTW, You'll also burn more fuel and make more noise than with a 1000.  Can your crew handle the  heavier 2000 and get it started ? 
A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Good idea Ron.  I built a "holding tank" out of one by twos for exactly the same purpose once. 

I think my preference would be for a 1000, but Stu keeps tempting me with the hot showers.   In any case, if I can't fit the cardboard box in under the coaming (and maybe I should load it with a bunch of bricks to see if it's manageable) I can't see tripping over the big unit for a year.  I'll opt for cold showers.

My crew is proving competent.   I once jokingly asked an 8 year old Foster to go and grab a 25 kg bag of mortar from the shed.   I turned around and he was carrying it all the way across the back yard.   He's ten now and would probably lift the EU2000 with one hand. 

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stephen Butler

Had the chance to use a "loaner" Honda 2000, and then purchased the 1000.  After a week of searching for the right place to store it when under sail, and then man-handling it into position, we chose the 1000...fits in a now vented locker, and easy to left out and start.  Yes, we do not have warm showers, but summers in Florida are warm enough.  Hope this is of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

hump180

Why won't the 1000 heat water? Not enough amps? Will it even warm the water?
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

waterdog

I shouldn't say that the 1000 won't heat water.   

My recollection is that heating the water and running the charger is too much load for the gen and it kicks out.   I don't recall what the load from the water heater is - you might be able to heat if you weren't charging - Ron or Stu can probably answer that... 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

The six gallon Seaward water heater has a 1,500 watt electric heater element.  1,500 watts >>> 1,000 watts from the EU1000, so......................?  No conversions necessary, both are 120 volts.  That's why it won't work.

The original question was the EU1000 with a Truecharge 40 amp charger.  That 40 amps is on the DC side, so converting it to A.C. is like dividing it by 10 (120 volts, vs. 12 volts), or all of 4 amps. 

The 1000 watts at 120 volts = 8.33 amps (watts = volts x amps; 1,000/120 = 8.33)

Should be just fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."