Alternate way to climb your mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

For those of you interested in an alternate way to get up your mast, you should check out this websits for the Prime Climb Mast Ladder at

http://www.prime-climb.com/default.htm

I recently bought one and have used it successfully to install a lazyjack system and to check my anchor light without success. A drawback to this system is that when you go up to the very top of the mast, you are somewhat restricted by the backstay wedging you against the mast so you would have to stand on one side of the mast and kind of wrap an arm around the backstay for support. After working on the lazyjacks, I was kind of tired so I decided to wait for a day when I had more energy th attack the anchorlight.
An advantage is that you don't need a halyard. Just in case the reason you need to go up the mast is because you lost your halyard or  your halyard breaks and you don't have a spare, then this system would be good to have. You can also use this by yourself if necessary although I had a helper safely laughing his tail off below me.
They reccommend that you use a harness with a line around the mast so that you can tie yourself off and work without holding on. Being a retired telephone guy, I elected to use a linemans body belt that worked quite well.
At around $400.00 their not cheap but could serve a necessary purpose. I believe the ATN climber is about the same price range but again they require a halyard or a dedicated static line.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net