Replacing 97 MKII deadlight (non-opening windows)

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie

Hi, 

I need to replace the fixed deadlights on my 97 catalina.  Looking for advice on how to remove and if it is OK to replace with plexiglass (vs Lexan).  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Doug
1997 Catalina MKII

waterdog

Quote from: Cookie on October 24, 2008, 11:53:19 AM
Hi, 

I need to replace the fixed deadlights on my 97 catalina.  Looking for advice on how to remove and if it is OK to replace with plexiglass (vs Lexan).  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Doug

I don't know if the MKII deadlights are the same as the MKI.   There is good description in projects or tech notes that describes the replacement.  Acrylic (Plexiglass) is probably preferred over polycarbonate (Lexan).   Check out the Lewmar site for their rational in using acrylic in hatches.   If I recall it stands up better to thermal shock, has lower coefficient of thermal expansion (less movement with temperature change), and better UV performance - downside is it is not quite as scratch resistant.   It could be that's all crap and Lewmar likes it because it's cheaper.  I used acrylic when I replaced all my opening ports and hatches.   You can decide and you'll be fine either way you go.  (If you're interested in bullet proof, I think Lexan has the edge...)
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat