Engine Paint

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike B

I need to get some paint to touchup my m25.  The local shop here has Universal bronze for about $25 a can.  Does anyone know of a better price on the universal spary paint?  Has anyone used a different paint that matches the universal bronze color?

thanks,
Mike

Steve McGill

Mike,

GM #286 (Camel) available at most auto supply stores seems to be the most popular on this site.
A search on any of the above will provide many hits.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Mike B

Terry Forshier

I went to 3 auto supply stores and no one here had the GM camel. I used some Auto Advantage engine gold color. Not a perfect match but I painted it all so now it is. Was cheap too.

Stu Jackson

Based on my photo posts of my engine, you guessed right if you thought I'd used gray Rustoleum and made the engine two-tone!  The next owner could get to choose his favorite color!  :D  Paint when applied properly, can surkeep the rust away.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve McGill

javascript:void(0);javascript:voidjavascript:void(0);(0);   I searched using a few search engines and came up empty looking for GM #286 Camel. A year ago I saw the post that mentioned that this paint was as close a match we could get at a great price. I just figured that once the ugly gold spray I had was empty I would look for the GM camel.

Sorry to get your hopes up, if anyone does have a source for this paint please post it.

Stu, I did see your primer gray, while not my favorite color it must be doing its job, there appeared to be very little rust.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ron Hill

Guys : When we first posted it the #286 GM Camel paint was available at Track auto stores (1998?).  When Track was bought up, I guess that the metallic copper paint went with the buyout?  Just look for some metallic copper auto paint.
BTW, the front of the accessory end of the engine (Oberdoffer/Sherwood and the internal water pump is mounted to) is an aluminum alloy!!  The bell housing is also an aluminum alloy.  The Hurth transmission body is also an aluminum alloy.  The only part of the engine that can rust is the cast iron Kubota block and the steel oil pan.! 
Don't get me wrong, because aluminum alloy will corrode somewhat if salt water stays on it.  I have never painted my new injectors, because salt water should never get up that high.  To preclude the chipping of paint you can also get the same protection from BO Shield (waxy) spray.  A few thoughts. 
Ron, Apache #788

HBDave

I recently cleaned and repainted my Heat Exchanger. In the process I went on a hunt for matching paint. I have a can of Universal Brown that I bought from the Universal Dealer, but I keep that for the perfect touch up. What I ended up using is Rust Oleum - Hgih Heat Ultra, color Aged Copper purchased from Home Depot. Not a perfect match, but worked fine for repainting something as large as the Heat Exchanger, etc. If you repainted the whole engine, no one would ever know it's not Universal $$$ Brown.
Dave
1990 - 988