Crankshaft Spline on M25-XP

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveM

Does anyone happen to know the spline size on the forward end of the crankshaft of an M25-XP.  I wanted to get a socket for it so I could easily rotate the shaft when adjusting the valves.  Thanks
Good Winds
Dave M
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

Stu Jackson

It's not a socket fitting, it's a ridged shaft.  Best bet would be vice grips.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

When I adjusted my valves I just used a wrench on the alternator nut.  If it slips just adjust the belt too tight, then readjust when you are done.  Seems like it was a 9/16 or 5/8 wrench, but not for sure.  It was a common one I had in the tool box.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Dave : Do NOT use vice grips on that spline !! 
There is a nut that holds the drive pulley on the crank shaft.  There is a plyable washer behind that nut with it's tabs bent to act like a lock washer.  If you slightly bend those tabs back you can get a deepwell socket on that nut. As I recall the socket size is 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" ?? 

I use that socket with a ratchet to turn over the engine by hand after long layups.  That gets the "juices flowing" (oil) into the upper unit. 
You can also accomplish the same by hitting the starter (raw water thru hull off) with the fuel cut off pulled.  Or you can spin the engine with the decompression lever engaged.  The whole idea is to get lubrication going inside the engine BEFORE "ignition/compression" in the cylinders.  A few thoughts. 
Ron, Apache #788

DaveM

Thanks All

The socket on the alternator or the crankshaft nut sounds better than a $50 spline socket.  I think I have a deep socket that will fit the crankshaft nut that I bought to tighten the keel bolt nuts.  To be honest, I cringed a little about vise grips on a spline.  Appreciate it.
Good Winds
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

Ron Hill

Dave : Sorry, the keel bolt socket is not the same size as the retaining nut on the drive pulley!! 
Ron, Apache #788