bottom paint

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I am thinking of going to a DIY boatyard and painting the bottom myself. How much paint will it take to paint 2 coats on a C34 wing keel? anyone know?. 2 gallons. That Interlux micron 66 they use here ain't cheap. Phew..

Steve S.

Terry - It usually takes me just under 2 gallons for one coat.  I just rough up and sand every couple of years and add an additional coat, so I haven't done two coats in years.  I would buy 3 gallons, and if you don't quite make it, then go out and get another quart or gallon as needed.

One thing I do now is alternate colors.  My undercoat is blue and my top coat is black.  When I pull for the winter, I can then see where I've worn though and it gives me a better indication of how much paint I have on.     
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Allan.SVCarina

It takes me about 1 & 1/2 gallons to do one coat on a C36 (not that much difference between the two models).
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Terry Forshier

So is this sound right?
Lowest quote to do the job at yacht yard is $34 ft for 2 coats of Interlux Micron 66.this is $1156.00 (34x34)and yard is about 20 miles away by boat. (motoring 4 hours) so another $10 in diesel

DIY yard costs
Haul in and out........................$122.40
Block up (4 blocks)...................$36 ($9 per stanchions)
Pressure wash.........................$68
Overnight stay (7 days $17).....$119 (this includes 1 day hauling and last day putting in, so 5 days working)
3 gallons Micton 66 ..................$675 ($225 each Internet and shipping)
Cost of getting to/from marina....$50 ( motoring 130 miles, there and back. Diesel 4.50 gallon use 1 gal 12 miles)
supplies, .................................$50  (tarp, brushes or roller, thinner,, pan etc)
my time free and not counting driving about 75 miles each day to the boat. 150 miles 20 mpg ..900 miles /20 =45gal x 3.75=$168)
Total then.............................$1288.40

So DIY for just a bottom job would be more expensive for me than just getting it done. Same paint 2 coats.
Am I missing something?
Terry

waterdog

Nope.  You've blown the analysis.   The yard is 20 miles away, but you have to get back.   So add another $10 for diesel...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Roger Blake

I don't know about your yard...but my yard, the quote is for the labor only. Everything else (the haulout, the supplies, the hull cleaning, the stands rental, etc.) are extra. You should check back with your yard to ensure that the quote is all inclusive...else, you'll find DIY is cheaper. For me, 1gal and 1 quart seems to do the trick.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Terry Forshier

Below is the quote for the $34 / foot, as you can see it covers the entire process.

We would be happy to work on your boat.
Our bottom painting price is $34/foot including haul, pressure wash, block, and launch.
If there is sanding necessary or additional work to be done (priming, scraping, change zincs, etc.) our labor
rate is $95/hour. The bottom painting price includes 2 coats of top of the line paint. We are currently recommending
Interlux Micron 66 for ablative applications and Interlux Ultra for hard paint.
We can use whatever you want, or whatever is on the boat now. (we will need to know
what is there now to do the job, due to compatibility issues)
If work is scheduled on a Monday, we normally have the job complete and the boat ready
to go back in the water on Thursday, weather permitting.

Steve Sayian

Terry,

I had the bottom soda blasted 2 years ago.  I barrier coated it and applied 1 coat of hard paint and the final coat was 1 coat of Micron Extra. 
I used less than a gallon to do the entire bottom and didn't skimp on the application.

This spring I sanded the bottom with 60 gritt and applied another coat of Micron.  Again, used less than a gallon to do the bottom.
When the boat comes out, most of the ablative paint has worn away and the bottom is still nice and smooth.

I've always been a fan of applying only 1 coat to reduce buildup.

BTW, I do all my own bottom work.  The yard I'm in has no services nor restrictions on what an owner can do. 

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

Terry : I also use ablative paint.  I usually use about 1 gal to do the bottom. 
Just remember the old Chinese saying " The more paint that you put on - the more paint you'll have to take off (& sooner)"!!
That's why I put on one coat, and only touch it up the next year.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

karista

I would think the amount of paint required depends on, whether or not you haul out yearly and paint yearly. I also use Ablative paint, this paint does not build up, but gradually polishes itself off thru use of the boat. I haul every 3 years to do the bottom and use almost 3 gallons of paint, 3-4 coats are required on the waterline as the constant wave action removes the paint quicker. So if you paint yearly, you will need much less as previously suggested, on the other hand if you stay in the water for 3 seasons than you will definetly require about 3 gallons, there will be no build-up after 3 seasons, the paint will be gone by then.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Jack Hutteball

I haul and paint every 3 years as we leave the boat in full time here.  It takes 2 gallons of ablative to do 2 coats on a fin keel boat.  That also generally allows 3 coats at the waterline where the slime grows the most due to light. I have a diver come every 4 months to brush the bottom and check/change zincs as necessary.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jeff Kaplan

terry, it takes me 1gal. and 1 qt. to do one coat of interlux "act" single season ablative. next season i just rough up the old coat and paint over...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Steve S.

Terry - You may have forgotten one other thing in your DIY estimate.  Our yard requires that you use a sander with vac attachment.  It's 25 bucks and hour and it usually takes me three hours.  And you need a decent respirator - another $40-$50 bucks.

Given your analysis - I would go with the yard.  It's a crummy/hazardous job, and $95 bucks an hour is pretty reasonable. 
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay