oil alarm and sender

Previous topic - Next topic

makanikai

I have a 1987 Universal M25XP that has  the oil sender and alarm on a 4"x1/8" brass stalk or nipple sticking out from the block passing under the manifold. I assume this is for easy access, but it has broken off at the block twice now due to the lever action caused by engine vibration. Does anybody else have this setup, and if so have the same problem and hopefully a solution?
thanks,
Dick Gray

Stu Jackson

Dick, see Reply #66 on this thread:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3347.60#lastPost

The point being that the quick connect connection on the engine was poor.  May be the same issue for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

makanikai

Thanks Stu'
Actually, when the stalk attached to the block breaks off it loses oil pressure as the oil leaks out of the engine block.
I don't know if it is original with the M25xp or the original owner added it. I called Torresen Marine, but they thought
Catalina must have made the modification. I'll check with them next. If no one else on this forum had seen this problem,
It must be an add on that doesn't work.
Dick

Ron Hill

Dick : The way the original  M25XP came is with an oil pressure switch that was connected to an audio alarm.  If you also have a sender that sends to a psi gage, it's something that a previous owner installed.
Not too sure what the "4in. by 1/8in. stalk" is that you are talking about ??

I'll guess that the simplest way to solve your problem is to go back to the original switch that sounds the audio alarm when there is low/no oil pressure.  I also wired in a light so with no/low oil pressuer I get both an audio and light alert.  Your local Kubota dealer can sell you a switch at the lowest cost. 
I've written at least one article on that oil pressure switch in the Mainsheet Tech notes. 
Ron, Apache #788